VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So I have vacation videos. Yes I am that guy with video problems. I'm trying to join 70 short mp4's. No matter what program I use the output file wont play in windows media player. VLC will open it but it's all green. The last one I tried was videoredo. It actually did join the files and show me an ouptut but again the entire video file was green. I just tried running it on only two of the videos and it works fine. So what but or problem did I uncover by wanting to join the 70 files. It seems like the most basic and simple task you might ever want to do with video. But its SO HARD!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post the details from one of the mp4?

Are all mp4s same? (same resolution/frame size, frame rate, etc, video/audio codec)

And try the basic mp4 joiner or mymp4boxgui under join.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All you need is one to be damaged or poorly saved (camera's shouldn't be used in low battery charge state) in some form and almost every editing program will barf when joining them.

Process them via batch, one at a time ... then once system is able to draw thumbnails for each clip try joining
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I tried that joiner and still got green.

All the videos came off the same camcorder. I'll post the info. You may be right about recording on low battery.

File info is:
    Frame width 1280
    Frame hight 720
    Data rate 8513kbps
    Total bitrate 8644kbps
    Frame rate 29 frames/per second

Audio:
    Bit rate 131kbps
    Channels 2(stereo)
    Audio sample rate 48kHz

I checked the details on another file and the difference I see is the Data rate and total bitrate are different.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried joining videos 1-10 and then 11-20. Both came out green. This is getting crazy frustrating. I've tried all kinds of combos and the more I put in to join the more it's likely to fail. I identified that video 8 might be to blame.. Not sure why it's just a guess. All of the data rates are different for each file. So i joined 1-2-3-4-5. and 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8. That fails. If i join 7-8 it works ok..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had issues joining mp4's in the past. One method that always worked for me, even though it's a few extra steps, is this: remux your mp4 files into mkv's, then use mkvmerge GUI to join all of the now mkv's. Take the final merged mkv file and remux back into an mp4. For some reason, it's a lot easier to join mkv's than it is to join mp4's, and mkvmerge GUI is an excellent joiner.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    ok. Thanks. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Is there a batch process in any of these? I'll have to convert 70 files one at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Are you trying the mkv route? You can batch re-wrap to mkv with ffmpeg, but I doubt it will help you to append these. Something else fishy is going on

e.g

Code:
    for %a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i %a -c:v copy -c:a copy %~na.mkv

You can try appending them with ffmpeg as well, with the concat demuxer
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/How%20to%20concatenate%20%28join,%20merge%29%20media%20files

What does mediainfo (view=>text) say about one of these? and file 8 in particular ? copy & paste the text view back here
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Looks like ffmpeg is linux only?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by delluel View Post
    Looks like ffmpeg is linux only?
    Cross platform

Some windows binaries here
    http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Before I go messing with mkv converting and such let me ask this. The cpu is a custom build, very lightweight simple machine. The video card I am using is an Asus GeForce 1gb. When I installed the drivers for the video card in the beginning all my video's played with stuttered sound. So I went and got the driver from Microsoft instead. That fixed the problem. But more and more I am noticing that when I play movies like mp4's, the sound will get really quiet then come back up. Then they start talking and the sound is back down to where I can't hear it then it goes back up etc.. This is only in movie's. My small mp4's from vacation don't mess up at all, neither does youtube etc.. If I play the movie in VLC however, the sound is waaaay down and I have to turn my TV volume all the way up. Ten minutes later the sound goes up and up until my TV is booming and I have to turn it down. So these movie torrents have screwy sound. Could that be related to joining mp4's?

Maybe the video card is screwy so that whenever I try to join my video card just screws it up?
    Quote Quote  
  13. video card has nothing to do with appending videos
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    ok. I can start another thread for that issue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Freemake video converter. Joined all 45mins with no watermark. That, plus an upgrade to Win 8.1 which I LOOOOVE! One of the two made it work finally.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Note that freemake video converter reconverts the video and audio(when I last tried it). But if it works and the video looks good enough after joining/converting it doesn't matter that much.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!