VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Recently Firefox (version 31.0) has been kicking me out of certain webpages, such as Wikia sites, or just recently, Hulu. I could browse Hulu fine, but as soon as I tried to go to a page on the site with a video, it kicked me. I always end up on a Yahoo (my default search engine) search talking about a DNS error (I enclosed a screenshot of the Hulu instance moments ago).

I did web research but couldn't seem to find anything relating to my exact issue. I tried running Disk Utility, as well as cleaning out Firefox's cache, cookies, and browsing history, and even entered a command into Terminal I found on this page, though it says it's for Leopard, so it may not work for me because I use Mavericks. I read something about proxies, but changing my setting to "no proxy" (I don't know if I have that or not; not too knowledgeable on all the fancy tech stuff and terminology).

I should also note the pages seem to load fine in Safari.

It seemed like this started happening after I downloaded Unity Web Player so I could play an online game that requires it. I don't want to delete this, because I want to keep playing the game.

Is there anything I can do to make Firefox load all the pages like normal again?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 14.41.34.png
Views:	488
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	26701  

"They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Restore your startup homepage -> on Menu Bar ->Tools and Options. A window appears and in General change the settings for it.
    Delete entries (non wanted search engines) in the search bar next to the address bar.

If the same issue occurs, restoring Firefox can help. Save your bookmarks first (keyboard Ctrl+Maj+B) save, and so... type aboutupport on the address bar and click on Reset Firefox (or something like that because I use the french version of Firefox).
    Last edited by titigrom; 1st Aug 2014 at 18:03. Reason: : with s became smiley ! read "aboutsupport" and ":" between words
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox does have a DNS cache (the command you found is unlikely to fix issues with the FF DNS cache) and you need to do this to flush it:
    http://www.kahunaburger.com/2009/03/18/clear-dns-cache-in-firefox/
    Those instructions are old so if they don't work, you can disable the damn thing this way:
    http://en.kioskea.net/faq/555-disabling-the-dns-cache-in-mozilla-firefox

Most major ISPs in the USA offer sh*t DNS services. AT&T's is awful (I'm a customer, so I know). Comcast's is also bad. The best thing you could do for yourself is to change your DNS server to a good free one. Change your Mac to use either Google
    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
    or Open DNS
    https://use.opendns.com/#mac
    I use Open DNS but they're both good.

To be honest with you, I feel that FF is really declining all the time. Yes, I still use it, but Chrome is such a better product with so much less bs to deal with. FF's developers are always making crazy decisions that cause problems for some people. Your problem is just one of many.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the instructions on those websites about the DNS cache. No luck whether the DNS is set to 60, 3600, or 0. Tried all 3. It does seem like the page lasted longer before leaving to Yahoo's funny search result (enclosed another screenshot, this time after it jumped out of a Wikia page).

I entered the Open DNS numbers into my settings. Still no good.

Would reinstalling Firefox do any good? I seem to be running out of options.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 0.54.34.png
Views:	370
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	26707  

"They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    google dns 8.8.8.8

3600? ... you must be in some other setting ... ip adress in this format > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

How do you connect to the net ? ... guessing is hard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you switch to Seamonkey

It has the same Gecko layout-engine as Firefox, MINUS the bastardized interface

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My suggestion is give up and use Chrome. That's what I've done on Mac. If you're married to some Firefox extension you can't live without that doesn't have a Chrome equivalent, then I guess try reinstalling it or switch to Seamonkey as El Heggunte suggested. Switching to Open DNS should be fine so definitely keep that and you might try DISABLING the cache altogether as described in one of my links above. You didn't say that you tried that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
    I entered the Open DNS numbers into my settings. Still no good.

Would reinstalling Firefox do any good? I seem to be running out of options.
    This looks like a 404 redirect; some ISP's get kickbacks sending that traffic to advertising pages. You would get a 404 when the page you're trying to get doesn't resolve, flushing the cache would fix it. This is the way to do it with Maverick.

That's not a long term solution, though. As Jman98 said you're better off going with Opendns. If your Mac is connected to a router, then get into the management page, then look for the LAN configuration and enter the DNS in the spot provided. Every device that connects to your network will get the new DNS server.

Re-installing FF will probably do nothing if the problem is with DNS, but it can't do any harm if you export your settings first.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had exactly this problem, and the problem was that some site had installed a weird and apparently buggy search extension. Go to Tools menu / Add-ons and then look at the Extensions tab. Remove anything that looks suspicious, or just plain everything. Then *restart* firefox. After that, things should be working.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this thread is 11 months old
    did you look at the date of the last post before reviving it, with your post
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!