VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I am new to taking video editing seriously, but here's my problem. I have a Sony HXR-NX30U that records video in MTS files. But it appears that I can't play them well or with any sound on a Windows media player, the file's too big to flow well without having freezes, and when I try to play the file on VCL Media Player it works (poorly). Even on the VCL I'm only getting sound in one headphone.

I looked into it further and found out that I should use a compressor. I used Super eright's video compressor, but I actually don't know what would be the best file to convert it to or the specs that I should be imputing into Super for it (bit rate, aspect, quality...everything).

My ultimate goal is to upload it to Youtube, but I will be using Corel VideoStudio Pro for editing (I don't know if that makes a difference).

What smaller file should I use to preserve quality and get audio working? And what are the specs for that on Super's conversion? I appreciate the help!

Here's the file info:

Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 1.98 GiB
    Duration : 11mn 47s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 24.0 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 24.0 Mbps

[Video] ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=15
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 21.5 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 22.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.347
    Stream size : 1.77 GiB (90%)

[Audio] ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Muxing mode : Blu-ray
    Codec ID : 128
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Delay relative to video : -67ms
    Stream size : 129 MiB (6%)

[Text]
    ID : 4608 (0x1200)
    Format : PGS
    Codec ID : 144
    Duration : 11mn 46s
    Delay relative to video :
    Quote Quote  
  2. You probably need to upgrade your hardware to play the file back smoothly. What are your computer specs?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm not entirely sure what specs you need, but it's a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by NormallyConfused View Post
    Well, I'm not entirely sure what specs you need, but it's a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7?
    That computer was given sluggish performance scores by PC Magazine back in June of 2009. Since Sony's MTS files tend to be easily digestible and you're choking on them, you ought to think about upgrading.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2349497%2c00.asp?tab=Specs
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your laptop is probably too slow. You need to upgrade hardware

Basically the problem is the files are too compressed for your system to handle. You want the files LESS compressed to be able to edit and play it back more smoothly on your current system. Your computer isn't fast enough to decode and decompress the videos in realtime, hence the playback problems. LESS compressed means larger filesizes, not smaller filesize.

Native editing is better because you will lose some quality if you convert, unless you use a lossless codec. Lossless compressed codes are difficult to edit in realtime with a system like yours, and the filesize will be a lot larger (maybe 5-10x)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To elaborate:

It's not the compression, per se, that is making it difficult for your PC, it's that the compression used is very COMPLEX. A standard definition DV file has a slightly higher bitrate than your file, so they are equivalent in size, but the DV file uses not only less compression-per-pixel but it is MUCH simpler to encode & decode. An AVCHD-encoded file such as yours is ~3 generations more advanced than that. Therefore, you need a more "advanced" computer (particularly the processor).

Going the lossless or uncompressed route with HD material such as yours becomes a problem on the other end, where they're fairly trivial to encode/decode, but the size is so huge that you need decent bandwidth in your support systems (e.g. HDD & buss) - and HDD is usually the weak link in the chain.

That is why "nearly lossless" slightly-lossy compression (such as ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform) has gotten so popular is an intermediate (editing) format: it strikes a nice balance in between the opposing problems of COMPRESSION COMPLEXITY and RESOURCE BANDWIDTH.

Now, onto one other item:
    As was mentioned, your video is ALREADY highly compressed. You cannot reliably compress it much further without incurring noticeable loss in quality. As a matter of fact, ANY re-compression to a lossy format is going to lose SOME quality (but you might get lucky if it proves to be not too noticeable).

Best to leave your original as-is.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay so if I were to edit it even though it has bad processing, after I upload it to Youtube, will it still have trouble playing? Because I feel like once it's off my computer and onto their network the streaming part should go fine.

I appreciate all your answers!

Also! I'm still unsure how to get the sound to work correctly. That was the main reason that I was going to convert it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can you play 1080p on youtube now smoothly? If not, you will probably still have problems playing it through a browser . Video itself will be fine for other people, just those viewing it on slower hardware will get choppy playback

The sound probably is fine. You can upload a native sample from your camcorder here if you want others to check . Or you can upload a clip to youtube, and view a low resolution version, listen to see if it's stereo. Or hook it up to your HDTV set , playback from the camera and check to see if audio is ok
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Aug 2014 at 10:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You have to figure out: is the sound in one headphone a problem of general playback, or only of playback of files from THAT camera. If general, it sounds like a problem with your PC (sound card?). If from that cam only, you need to check your microphone settings to make sure you WERE recording both channels (maybe you had one turned off?). Do a test recording. If it SHOULD be recording both channels but isn't, you should get your cam fixed. If it is recording this time, maybe you just made a mistake on that last recording. A short trip through an audio editor/converter can get you a nice dual-mono file that is compatible with the rest of your stuff.

I agree with jagabo about hooking up to TV, you want a testing/monitoring alternative to just your PC.

Use DGMPGDec or eac3to or similar to demux your audio from your M2TS to WAV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!