VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I had this BD/DVD-burner for about a year and once burned a 25GB BD-RE with it. But now having reflashed to v 1.35, the drive neither burns nor reads BD disks. It reads/writes CDs/DVDs alright.

I tried to revert the firmware to the old version but the firmware doesn't allow to downgrade.

Do you know a utility that would allow me force flash the drive? Obviously other helpful comments are welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The most obvious step would be to contact Pioneer. You can't be the first person to encounter this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aquinax View Post
    So I had this BD/DVD-burner for about a year and once burned a 25GB BD-RE with it. But now having reflashed to v 1.35, the drive neither burns nor reads BD disks. It reads/writes CDs/DVDs alright.
    Before you arrive at this conclusion, be sure to obtain a range of known good BDs, both pressed and recordable and see. If you just tested it with that BD-RE that you burned "once", and the disc wasn't closed, then it won't be recognized because updating the f/w makes the burner practically a different one post- f/w update.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I looked up the current version flash, it stated that 1.21 is the most current version. Anything else above that is not recommended and there is none out yet. You may have to wait for company to come out with a flash that is made for it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maonstad - you must have only looked at the poorly maintained u.s. pioneer site. you need to check the japan site for the complete list.

aquanax - did you shut down windows and power off the computer before re-starting and trying it?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right. But I did find 1.30 works... 1.35 had problems.... from other posts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maonstad View Post
    You are right. But I did find 1.30 works... 1.35 had problems.... from other posts.
    In that case the OP will have to wait for 1.36 to be released.

I really do not understand why some people insist on regularly updating their firmware and risking problems. I've got a Pioneer BD burner that's about 3 years old and I've never updated the firmware after installing it. I've also never had a problem with it. Usually the new firmware contains fixes for problems most users will never see and write strategies for new manufacture runs of discs, but if you use ImgBurn and high quality discs you don't need to update firmware to write to discs.

If the OP is using BD-R LTH discs, it is possible that a new firmware update broke compatibility with those. BD-R LTH discs are tricky. My Pioneer will burn them and read previous burns but my other BD burner, an LG model, can neither burn nor read LTH burns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aquinax View Post
    So I had this BD/DVD-burner for about a year and once burned a 25GB BD-RE with it. But now having reflashed to v 1.35, the drive neither burns nor reads BD disks. It reads/writes CDs/DVDs alright.
    I think "reflashed" is the wrong term and leads to misunderstandings...

RE media is always a gamble, even more with BDs these days.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!