VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I try to fill up a Dual Layer disk using AVS-DVD ie 8100mb, it converts them well, only to find when I burn the disc in IMAGE BURN, it fails saying it cant find a suitable Layer Break, and proclaims now is the time to start crying.

Am I filling the disc up TOO much ie 8100mb out of 8100mb (in AVS-DVD) and so there is no space for the break, and if so how can I set-up AVS-DVD so that it doesnt fill the disc.

eg. 3 x 48 min AVI files pushes AVI-DVD to 8100mb at the best settings , if I could set it to use 8000mb so there is some space left, would that be ok for burning in IMAGEBURN,

Is it just a case of reducing the quality just enough to "not fill the disc" and therefore leave that small space.

Apologies for my numptyness, and I hope the above makes a modicum of sense
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, selecting a position for the layer break will certainly require some headroom.

I don't know AVS-DVD at all; I once was used to professional DVD authoring tools, and they were able to show you a preview on the timeline in which range you could define a cell for the layer break. Closely filled DVDs will give you only a choice of seconds where it may be hard to find a position which is not very annoying (e.g. would be bad in the middle of music or speech or fast-paced action). With enough spare, the range of choice can be several minutes, so it would be quite probable that you can choose one of the already existing chapter points as layer break too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you should leave some room. Trying to use up 100% of the available space is never a good idea. If you want to talk about using 98% or maybe 99% with very good media that is a different thing. And since you are using DL discs I hope that you know that unless you are using Verbatim (or Taiyo Yuden if you have their rare DVD-R DL discs) you are wasting your money on bad discs. Verbatim's DVD+R DL discs are the best DL media out there, but if you must use DVD-R DL for some reason, then use either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. EVERYTHING else is garbage. If you bought garbage discs, then at least burn them as slow as you can for the best chance of success. Do not go above 4x and slower would be better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    If you are talking about AVStoDVD, you can set custom output sizes in that program. 7900mb should be your target size. The controls for this are under Options-->Disc Size-->Custom Size.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the error message, i dropped the size down to 8000mb and it still displays this, I use DVD+R DL ARITA discs from a local supplier. and have rarely had any problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	message.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	26685
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Solution for the End of the World error message: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/6376-how-to-deal-with-the-end-of-the-world-p...em-in-imgburn/

And 8000mb? You're not listening.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am listening , honestly, I had already done that 8000 convert before your reply, your learned experience is very much appreciated, you folks take the time to answer my questions, I at the very least have the courtesy to listen
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just done another conversion at 7800 mb and imageburn still comes up with the same message...Id rather not have to go through VOBChecker every time
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    This is the error message, i dropped the size down to 8000mb and it still displays this, I use DVD+R DL ARITA discs from a local supplier. and have rarely had any problems.
    I honestly wish I could get paid every time a guy like you posts "But I've never had problems with my crap discs before so they must be great!". Your discs suck. If you want to use them, that's OK with me. But you've been warned that better quality discs might fix this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But you've been warned that better quality discs might fix this problem.
    How does imageburn know what kind of DISC i intend to use, I have opened the file and clicked on calculate, then got the error messsage, before inserting any disc,
    So surely the problem is in the encoding/settings of AVS-DVD.

I do appreciate that quality branded discs will be superior, but they also cost a lot more, and for the amount of times these DVD's will get used and the amount I go through, I make the decision to go for the budget brand, that seem to work fine for me and what I want,

If it was an very important film/movie such as a wedding DVD etc etc, then yes id use the best quality I could find and follow your recommendation.

and just in case you get paid for everytime this gets mentioned, have another on me

"But I've never had problems with my crap discs before so they must be great!"
    Quote Quote  
  11. http://www.newcyberian.com/howto-burn-dual-layer-dvd.html

Did you add chapters? I always add chapter marks every 5 minutes, although I rarely set them to display. I use them more for quick navigation.
    Here's where I admit I don't use avstodvd. Convertxtodvd and TMPGEnc DVD Author are my preferred tools.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Auto insertion of chapters at 5 minute intervals is default behavior in AVStoDVD. Unless the OP changed this in Preferences.

I've never had this issue from a DVD made with AVStoDVD, but then, I rarely make DVD9.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Did you add chapters? I always add chapter marks every 5 minutes, although I rarely set them to display. I use them more for quick navigation.
    In an ideal dual-layer DVD situation, both layers are each 50% of the whole disc, and it just so happens there is a legitimate condition at that exact 50% mark with which to comfortably make the layer break. It will not be too practical, though, to guard things during authoring such that this gets to be the case, so ImgBurn, for one, allows a little leeway: layer breaks are created
    • with each layer a maximum of 3.96GB in size (note the GB notation to avoid confusion)
    • with each layer not necessarily the maximum size, as long as a suitable cell is found for the layer break, and the whole *.iso is less than 7.92GB
    • with the suitable cell marking a point which will create the bigger-sized layer which is 3.96GB or less
    It can be inferred fom these, therefore, that the probability a layer break can be created gets less and less the bigger the *.iso size gets, all the way to the maximum 7.92GB, and the fewer suitable cells are found.
    Chapter points are allowed only on an I-frame at the start of a GOP, which necessarily means that is a suitable cell to layer break with, so indeed, a way out of this problem would be to simply to stud the elementary stream with chapters galore during authoring.
    I have been in situations where I had to re-author two or three times an *.iso of 7.9GB just to add heaps of chapters at the point where ImgBurn says is around the 50% mark so that it sees a legit point to layer break and allow burning to disc. As for others, inclusing but not limited to OP, due to the programs used they may not be able to re-author and add chapter points. Or they deliberately refuse to believe chapter points (or their absence) can influence greatly whether a layer-break can be made and the disc burned.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    A slightly more professional DVD authoring tool would allow you to insert a cell for the layer break manually before compiling the VOBs and creating the image content.

The smaller the reserve, the lower the chance that at least one of the regular 5 min chapters will "incidently" fit into the valid layer break range.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LB-OTP.png
Views:	178
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	26697  

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!