VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya everybody....I cannot seem to do this, have tried a few video editing programs but think I cannot be setting it up correctly. I have a Sharp DVD player that has a usb port which I use to play my Avi files. I have some MP4's which are not compatible so need to convert to Avi files. I am sure I am setting them the same as the Avi's that play but are not working. I have also tried to convert to MKV with no success. Can anybody give me some pointers that I might be missing, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to avi with divx or xvid video codec and mp3 audio. Be sure that the video resolution/frame size is not higher than 720x576 pixels.

I use xvid4psp 5 (use the avi hardware preset) or winff( xvid widescreen preset) or xmedia recode or simple "adware" tools like freemake video converter(click to avi and change the preset to xvid mp3).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Convert to avi with divx or xvid video codec and mp3 audio. Be sure that the video resolution/frame size is not higher than 720x576 pixels.

I use xvid4psp 5 (use the avi hardware preset) or winff( xvid widescreen preset) or xmedia recode or simple "adware" tools like freemake video converter(click to avi and change the preset to xvid mp3).
    Thanks, thought I was doing that...have sent image of my setupClick image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	26660
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your files might be missing the fourcc flag.
    You could try pazera suite mp4toavi converter. It has a checkbox to set the flag on conversion.
    If you are having to convert you might as well do it all in one go.

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/mp4-to-avi-converter/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Your files might be missing the fourcc flag.
    You could try pazera suite mp4toavi converter. It has a checkbox to set the flag on conversion.
    If you are having to convert you might as well do it all in one go.

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/mp4-to-avi-converter/
    Thanks...I have tried this program as well but did not work...do you mean forceClick image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	148
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	26661 video tag at the bottom right hand side?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes. That's the one. Try aiming for a target size of under 2GB initially. This is a limitation of some players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. That's the one. Try aiming for a target size of under 2GB initially. This is a limitation of some players.
    Thanks....should I leave the rest on auto? Where do I find target size?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes. Try auto. Bitrate controls file size...it's 'trial and error'. Quality will be crap but try 800 first. Should be fairly quick. Just to test.
    You can stop it after a minute or two. The file wont be deleted and should play in a software player. Then try it on your harware player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Try auto. Bitrate controls file size...it's 'trial and error'. Quality will be crap but try 800 first. Should be fairly quick. Just to test.
    You can stop it after a minute or two. The file wont be deleted and should play in a software player. Then try it on your harware player.
    I will try that...thanks for all your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am still having problems...can anybody see what might need changing?Click image for larger version

Views:	180
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	26741
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post the details from one of your avi files that doesn't work. Not your video source.

And as a last solution reconvert your non working avi with avirecomp. It should make most avi files work on dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Deblk View Post
    I am still having problems...can anybody see what might need changing?.
    Yes. You need to try XVID codec in the MP4 converter. A lot of older players don't recognize x264.
    Most play Xvid just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Deblk View Post
    I am still having problems...can anybody see what might need changing?.
    Yes. You need to try XVID codec in the MP4 converter. A lot of older players don't recognize x264.
    Most play Xvid just fine.
    Thanks...I tried that, did not work. My Player is a year old so relatively new.

Thanks Baldrick for your info as well
    Quote Quote  
  14. Do you have a file which does play handy? Please post a Mediainfo report (View->Text) so we can take a look at what works.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 6th Aug 2014 at 08:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the result of the converted AVI that does not work.Click image for larger version

Views:	290
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	26743
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a file which does play handy? Please post a Mediainfo report (View->Text) so we can take a look at what works.
    This works
    Click image for larger version

Views:	131
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	26749
    Quote Quote  
  17. It appears your player likes the old version of the Xvid codec (pre 2011) and not the 64 bit library.
    Download this version of Pazera: https://www.videohelp.com/download/Pazera_Converters_Suite.7z
    It has an Xvid v1.2.2 library built in. Choose the MP4>AVI,MPG and ensure you choose the 1.2.2 option from the dropdown menu.
    I also have one nice but very choosey player, and this version (and Xvid4PSP v5) produces files which work well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It appears your player likes the old version of the Xvid codec (pre 2011) and not the 64 bit library.
    Download this version of Pazera: https://www.videohelp.com/download/Pazera_Converters_Suite.7z
    It has an Xvid v1.2.2 library built in. Choose the MP4>AVI,MPG and ensure you choose the 1.2.2 option from the dropdown menu.
    I also have one nice but very choosey player, and this version (and Xvid4PSP v5) produces files which work well.
    wow...thank you soo much...will try this version of Pazera today
    I have already tried Xvid4PSP which did not work
    Last edited by Deblk; 7th Aug 2014 at 03:11.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The AVI which works and the one which doesn't were muxed using different programs. Anything's possible, so.....

I'd try opening the AVI which won't play with VirtualDub. Under the Video menu, select "direct stream copy" for the video compression method. Use the "File/Save As AVI" menu to save it as a new AVI. It'll only take a minute. See if that copy plays.

Another possibility.... Traditionally video was generally mod16 (width and height both evenly divisible by 16). In your case the height is not mod16 for the file which won't play. You could try changing that when you convert to something like 720x400. Obviously, you might need to resize a little.

Are you sure you had it set to output compatibled files? If memory serves me correctly you should be able to select AVI as the format, then "DVD Player 720x Progressive", and I think Xvid4PSP should take care of the rest.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 7th Aug 2014 at 04:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It appears your player likes the old version of the Xvid codec (pre 2011) and not the 64 bit library.
    wow...thank you soo much...will try this version of Pazera today
    I love you....thank you soo much, it worked
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Steady now!
    Sorry, got a bit carried away...if you look anything like you avatar then yes, I do love you lol
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Transporterfan for the above solution as I was having the same issues as the OP but with in my case an elderly Panasonic DMR-EX83EB that also is very choosy about which DivX and avi files on usb. it'll accept. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!