VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everyone!

I'm new here and I've been searching everywhere for possible solutions to help me out in my crummy situation!

I recently just filmed a wedding with a 64 gb mini sd card that my client provided me with. I can playback my video files perfectly on my Canon 600d but when I insert the mini sd card in my asus, my computer told me that it couldn't open the drive up. It said it had to be formatted before continuing. Now, I know that if you format the sd card, you'll lose everything! So I used EaseUS Data Recovery and recovered all of my MOV files. Now my new problem is that the files that had been recovered, can't be played properly. (I tried opening it with windows media player and VLC. I even changed the extension MOV to MPG but it still didn't work!) All I get is a black screen with static for sound.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore and I'm pretty desperate for answers. I don't want to fail the wedding couple, I got covered the important parts of their wedding and I don't want to lose everything.

Any helpful advice is accepted!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try more file recovery tools. Maybe thee free recuva or payware like CnW Data Recovery.

If that wont help can you try video recover tools like video repair tool (free trial repairs half movie) or www.mp4repair.org (pretty expensive but might be worth it everything else fails).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the SD card still play properly in the Canon ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not if it's formatted?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Probably not if it's formatted?
    HI Baldrick,
    yes, I just wanted to clarify it. Perhaps a program like Photorec might help?
    It will go through the whole SD card and write out what ever it can find to
    a second media device, for example a spare hard drive.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I would try more file recovery tools. Maybe thee free recuva or payware like CnW Data Recovery.

If that wont help can you try video recover tools like video repair tool (free trial repairs half movie) or www.mp4repair.org (pretty expensive but might be worth it everything else fails).

Ok, I'll try those out!

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Does the SD card still play properly in the Canon ?

Yes, it does. it plays them perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm pretty sure this is what's going on:

Your card is 64GB, so the Canon is formatting it as exFAT (not FAT32 that would used for 32GB and less), which is what it ought to do in those circumstances - SDXC card.

Your Asus g35, being a Win8 computer, OUGHT to be able to read an exFAT volume, but is having trouble. Could be exFAT driver wasn't correctly installed - if so, uninstall & re-install.
    If that doesn't work, and your camera's supplied software doesn't recognize it either, you should still be able to use the USB cable to transfer the clips to your PC.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is what's going on:

Your card is 64GB, so the Canon is formatting it as exFAT (not FAT32 that would used for 32GB and less), which is what it ought to do in those circumstances - SDXC card.

Your Asus g35, being a Win8 computer, OUGHT to be able to read an exFAT volume, but is having trouble. Could be exFAT driver wasn't correctly installed - if so, uninstall & re-install.
    If that doesn't work, and your camera's supplied software doesn't recognize it either, you should still be able to use the USB cable to transfer the clips to your PC.

Scott

UPDATED: just did what the other guys did and it still doesn't work.

my bad about the asus being a g35.

Its a Asus G60Vx and I still have windows vista. I'll try that out!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Vista requires a Service Pack update in order to support exFAT.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Vista requires a Service Pack update in order to support exFAT.

Scott
    I did the second suggestion and it worked! I was able to transfer the files from the 64gb SD card in my Canon to my computer using the usb cable.

Thanks scott and everyone!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!