Yeah, this is weird. I have been using DVDFab 9133 for months with not one fail on it. Suddenly, on my Windows 7 drive, DVDFab will boot fine and the screen comes up, but it will not recognize any movie disk. Usually I just put the disk in, boot DVDFab and it auto-finds the disk and I go from there; now it just sits and does nothing. If I use the menu to point at the DVD drive with the disk in it, it gives an error message, something about no disk found. I Deleted and reinstalled Fab including all registry entries. Still nothing.
Now the kicker... I deleted it off Windows7 and loaded it on my Windows8.1 Pro drive, and it works normally. So now I am doing all my backups on my Windows 8. It definitely has something to do with my Windows 7 install. I have shutdown Comodo Firewall, Avira AV, and a couple of other security programs that never gave me any trouble before, but no help. I ran Hijack This to see if something dodgy was loading, and all is normal. I ran Autoruns (which usually never fails me) to see what's loading, and I can't recognize anything dodgy. I do not have Macrovision of any kind installed on my computer. Note that I can load a movie in Windows7, the autorun finds it and I can play it in my Classic Media Theater player with no problems.
I just cannot get DVDFab to recognize any movie disk on my Windows7 drive.
Does anyone have any suggestion where I might look for clues next?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Win 7 and Win 8.1 - same machine or different?
Test the drive with different discs - commercial, stuff your burned - test BD, DVD and CD. Drive could be going bad.
If the drive seems OK (maybe it's the same PC and Win 8.1 has no issues at all) then maybe your DVDFab under Win 7 is just borked for some reason and you'll need to upgrade it or reinstall.
Thanks jman98; it is the same computer. I have separate drives for Windows 7, Window 8.1, and Windows XP Pro. I just boot into any OS that I want to using the BIOS pop-up menu on boot. I have 2 DVD drives, and in Win7 I switched between drives and both did the same thing. I have tried a variety of movie disks, both backup and original with the identical result. In Win8.1 I did the same switch and both DVD drives worked fine with DVDFab. There is something in Win7 that is deliberately targeting Fab and preventing it from reading a disk, and whatever it is, it happened recently. I ran Malwarebytes, JRT, and a complete disk scan with Avira. Nada. I don't really know what I am looking for, but I can't see anything especially suspicious that is loading using Autoruns and Hijack This. I have deleted and reinstalled Fab on the Win7 machine with the same result.