VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to join scenes from DVDs together (to save time swapping discs all the time). I rip them using DVD Decrypter and get .vob files for the scenes I choose. Then I convert them in VOB2MPG. They play fine when I test them in Windows Media Player. However, I pulled them into Pinnacle Studio 11 and the a/v gets out of sync. It starts ok for the first few seconds, but slowly gets worse and worse. Until by the end, they must be seconds off. Most of the scenes are about 3-10 minutes long. I did the same rip and conversion on about 40 different files. One set of DVDs works fine (the singer's TV show episodes). However, the rest all have the a/v out of sync problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have been making video montages and transferring VHS to DVD for years. However, I know the basics I know. I am not a whiz at this! But, I do know some things. So, I don't know where that leaves me . . .

Thanks for any help! This is driving me insane!
    Quote Quote  
  2. VOBs can be strange beasts. Just transcoding from VOB to mpg may not work if you only cut from a single VOB in isolation.
    Try joining the VOB set to a single file first with VOBMerge (save as mpeg. You can change the extension mpg).

set one might look like:
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    etc...

set 2 would be:
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB
    etc...

Notice how the trailing number of both sets starts with a '1'. Don't include the VTS_xx_0.VOB.

EDIT: You would be better making clips from these DVDs with a tool like VideoRedo.
    Well worth the investment.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 27th Jul 2014 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it just now and it made the mpg, but the video kind of jerks. The sound was synced, but the video was not smooth.

I looked into VideoRedo, but it isn't exactly what I am looking for. I am doing an old 1930s-1960s singer, so I don't need to edit out commercials, etc. I'd like a few more editing options than that shows. I am happy with my mix of Pinnacle and Sony, but this is the first time I've had trouble like this.

I used to have a previous version of Roxio, and using DVD43 I could rip chapters off and they worked great! However, I got a computer that runs Windows 7, and a newer Roxio suite. Now DVD43 doesn't work with it, so I am having to come up with a new way of ripping and getting usable file for editing. If anyone has a different way that might be better, feel free to let me know. I am really kind of new to the idea of conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VideoRedo is one of the top DVD editing programs available. It can cut, join, burn DVDs and fix bad streams (which it looks as though you may have). Try it...and use the QuickStream Fix option on the large VOB file. It will cure 95% of damaged streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would never expect anything but troubles trying to JOIN files containing different video and audio bitrates.....not to mention possible different audio types.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I would never expect anything but troubles trying to JOIN files containing different video and audio bitrates.....not to mention possible different audio types.
    I would normally say the same, except OP said he is using Pinnacle 11. I imagine clips are on a timeline and output is unified and encoded...to something else. Not sure what. Maybe Pinnacle at fault as they work in WMP.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 30th Jul 2014 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Pinnacle Studio 11 was released 7 years ago, 2 years before windows 7. I suspect an updated version might resolve some of these issues.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!