VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    My TV has no headphone jack, How would i get a headset to work with it?

TV model is LG-50PN5300 http://www.clovisfurniture.com/en/catalog/product/173702-LG-50PN5300... i used an rca to 3.5mm with multiple headsets and i could not get the sound to work on them. I appreciate any help on this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could connect the digital out to a compatible amplifier.
    An amplifier would have a headphone socket.

Or get a digital to analog converter like/or similar to the one featured in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETHVfO3UZc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I see many different amplifiers, which would work with my tv's inputs? as in transfer sound through headset from cable TV as-well as PS3 netflix/blu-rays. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or better yet buy a receiver with hdmi inputs and hdmi output and connect all your devices to it and plug in your headphones,headsets are meant for chatting with.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I just want to be able to listen to tv using my headset sometimes, i would rather not spend 100+ on something for that. Any idea why my rca to 3.5mm doesn't work on my tv? i was told RCA to 3.5mm would work, i bought a couple of cables and no luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Reason: rca is line level. Headphone level needs to be much higher.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Reason: rca is line level. Headphone level needs to be much higher.

Scott
    What kind of setup would work for sure without costing me a small fortune, i just want headset support that's it. Thank you

EDIT: would this Decoder and Toslink cable allow me to plug a headset without needing anything else? i am confused with dolby sets and compatibility issues.
    Last edited by crlz; 27th Jul 2014 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That sounds pretty good, though I don't see a Headphone volume control on the device (could be on the back, or not at all?). I don't consider $100 to be "a small fortune", though.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you cut corners in getting your original purchase (TV).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    That sounds pretty good, though I don't see a Headphone volume control on the device (could be on the back, or not at all?). I don't consider $100 to be "a small fortune", though.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you cut corners in getting your original purchase (TV).

Scott
    I am thinking i could adjust the volume via the headset itself? Receivers start off at 100ish and around 300 for good ones. For only wanting to use it for a headset and not a home theater system i feel it would be overkill to get an expensive receiver that can do so much more. Thank you very much for your input, i think i will go with the decoder i have there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Does your headphones have a volume adjustment? Many (most?) don't.

You could also get, in addition, an in-line amp/volume control adapter...(don't know the cost)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Does your headphones have a volume adjustment? Many (most?) don't.

You could also get, in addition, an in-line amp/volume control adapter...(don't know the cost)

Scott
    Yes my headset has volume controls and i have a control adapter for other headsets, i am just worried it might not support my tv as it is dolby. I was looking at Digital Optical Coax first but some reviews say and it does not support dolby audio tvs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a difference.

The digital signal coming through a SPDIF cable, whether coax or toslink optical, can be LPCM (stereo/mono) audio, or it can be compressed DolbyDigital (aka AC3), or compressed DTS, packaged as if they were masquerading as LPCM audio.
    The Orei box is not just a D->A converter, but also a DD/DTS decoder & downmixer (possibly providing DolbyProLogic through the 2 channels, a bonus).
    The DOC product above does NOT have that additional capability. Any decoding necessary would have to be done within the TV first, or if it doesn't handle that, you will only be able to listen to LPCM audio sources.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    There is a difference.

The digital signal coming through a SPDIF cable, whether coax or toslink optical, can be LPCM (stereo/mono) audio, or it can be compressed DolbyDigital (aka AC3), or compressed DTS, packaged as if they were masquerading as LPCM audio.
    The Orei box is not just a D->A converter, but also a DD/DTS decoder & downmixer (possibly providing DolbyProLogic through the 2 channels, a bonus).
    The DOC product above does NOT have that additional capability. Any decoding necessary would have to be done within the TV first, or if it doesn't handle that, you will only be able to listen to LPCM audio sources.

Scott
    That settles it, i will go with Orei box. Thank you very much Scott.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have a set of these wireless headphones hooked up to a tv's RCA line out and they work great.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    I have a set of these wireless headphones hooked up to a tv's RCA line out and they work great.
    If i were to get that headset, it would work with my RCA line out? i thought if 1 headset doesn't work, no headsets will work with the setup.

Would this headset work with my tv's RCA line? granted that regular headsets did not work.
    Last edited by crlz; 27th Jul 2014 at 19:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try before buying. Wireless headphones in general operate on an FM-type carrier signal, which is prone to signal strength fluctuations, interference & multipath distortion, etc., so even 2 good copies of the same model won't work the same in different environments. I know, I have a similar model. It will occasionally and unpredictably go "ffffft" in the signal (at tested full recharge).

Regardless, your TV does NOT have RCA outputs (checked the manual), only Digital Optical (Toslink) out. Therefore, you would still need that Orei box, even for the wireless headphones (which would then work).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Try before buying. Wireless headphones in general operate on an FM-type carrier signal, which is prone to signal strength fluctuations, interference & multipath distortion, etc., so even 2 good copies of the same model won't work the same in different environments. I know, I have a similar model. It will occasionally and unpredictably go "ffffft" in the signal (at tested full recharge).

Regardless, your TV does NOT have RCA outputs (checked the manual), only Digital Optical (Toslink) out. Therefore, you would still need that Orei box, even for the wireless headphones (which would then work).

Scott
    I see, i placed an order for Orei box. All this stuff is a major head and thank you for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!