VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a WMV that I made into an direct stream AVI using VirtualDub. I imported it into AviUtl and set the keyframes I wanted. The cutting went near perfect. Somehow the video actually glitches out 1 second in, and the rest is fine. Is there a possible fix for this?

I was wondering if it was because I get the "previous frame is not a keyframe" warning when I go to encode, but I mark that frame too.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you upload a sample video for test?
    Also try the following option in x26XGui
    Name:  x26X-checkKeyframe.PNG
Views: 1462
Size:  30.6 KB

Also try moving the import plugin priority of L-Smash to the top(File> SETTINGS> Import plugin priority)
    Last edited by MaverickTse; 26th Jul 2014 at 21:14. Reason: addenum
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does the preview show the glitch before exporting ?

Why did you export as AVI in vdub ? AVIUtl can import WMV natively
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm actually just doing AVI to AVI with no recompression so that X265 setting wouldn't work.

That L-Smash plugin isn't in the settings list either. I have the AVIMod 1.6 version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Since you're doing no recompression edits on asf/wmv files, I'd recommend that you use asfbin instead
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, it does not show the glitch.

I do know it can use WMV files, but for some reason the export completely ignores the marked keyframes, so I end up with a very large file. Somehow doing a Direct Stream to AVI format gets around that.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Does the preview show the glitch before exporting ?

Why did you export as AVI in vdub ? AVIUtl can import WMV natively
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you are using the minimum Mod, i.e. no L-Smash, reading of wmv(in AVI) is done via vfw and that does not guarantee 100% frame accuracy.
    The minimum Mod cannot read .wmv file directly.(use the extra pack instead.)

Ignoring a few keyframes should not cause significant swelling of file size, it is likely due to the codec setting to "Not compressed".(actually anything other than x264vfw will cause swelling)

Note that if you are editing using the NLE editor, manual keyframe setting using the Edit menu will not be honored.

Again, please post your original, project file and the glitched file here for investigation if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had a feeling it was due to the codec setting.

As for the L-Smash Priority option, I did get download another version, and I did try that and bumping it to the top won't allow me to import anything. I have to change the Max Image Size in System Settings but no matter what I change it to, it doesn't let me import.

You did suggest asfbin so I may just go to that if need be.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by smike View Post
    I had a feeling it was due to the codec setting.

As for the L-Smash Priority option, I did get download another version, and I did try that and bumping it to the top won't allow me to import anything. I have to change the Max Image Size in System Settings but no matter what I change it to, it doesn't let me import.

You did suggest asfbin so I may just go to that if need be.
    So just use asfbin.
    but being unable to import ANYTHING suggest something really wrong. Please post the MediaInfo log for your file and error messages if any.
    Try also reading some typical MP4 and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just found that LSW seems to have a big AV-sync problem with WMV format, but fine using DirectShow import plugin.
    (contacting LSW developers for verification...)
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't seem to have AV sync issues with WMV within aviutl tested on a few wmv

I see .lwi index so I'm assuming it's using l-smash , not directshow.

But how can you force , or at least confirm what decoding pathway is currently used by a specific file in aviutl ? There is an import plugins priority setting, but that doesn't necessarily prove what is currently being used

EDIT: NM. It's info=>file info, under "file control" it will list the decoding pathway
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I don't seem to have AV sync issues with WMV within aviutl tested on a few wmv

I see .lwi index so I'm assuming it's using l-smash , not directshow.

But how can you force , or at least confirm what decoding pathway is currently used by a specific file in aviutl ? There is an import plugins priority setting, but that doesn't necessarily prove what is currently being used

EDIT: NM. It's info=>file info
    my bad. Happened to be using a VFR sample...(but does not show up as VFR in mediaInfo... )

To confirm which plugin is used for the current file, open "Info>File"
    Under "File control", you can check which import plugin is in effect.

Generally speaking, the first plugin in the priority list that can open a file will be used(unless the plugin malfunction).
    Since LSW and DS can open up almost anything, placing them at the top of the list nearly means forcing to use that particular plugin.
    Last edited by MaverickTse; 27th Jul 2014 at 00:34.
    Quote Quote  
  13. So I did a test on a few more files, mainly AVI's created from WMV's. They all have the same codec and format of course, except for one thing. The files that keep giving me the glitch were originally encoded with Windows Movie Maker. I don't know if that program has some kind of setting I don't know about, but that's the only reasoning I can come up with, since everything else comes out just fine.

I'll use ASFBin for those, I just a thought it was a strange discovery worth mentioning.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have talked with the developers and confirmed that the L-Smash Works Reader plugin cannot handle VFR WMV correctly. There seems to have been an attempt to make a WMV/ASF reader for virtualdub but also failed due to some technical problem...(WMV is a propriety format by M$ afterall )

The only way to handle WMV at the moment is either:
    1) Make DirectShow File Reader the TOP on the list, and install K-lite codec pack
    OR
    2) Use another program to try converting WMV to MP4 or TRUE avi (HuffYUV/Lagarith/UtVideo) and confirm that it is constant-framerate
    OR
    3) use AviSynth and DSS2 to read the file, and install codec pack

Your use of virtualdub is redundant and may introduce unexpected problem.

For any freeware currently available, avoid WMV codec at all cost....
    I have also tried editing some WMV8 video and ASFBin also FAILED(completely out-of-sync)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    I have talked with the developers and confirmed that the L-Smash Works Reader plugin cannot handle VFR WMV correctly. There seems to have been an attempt to make a WMV/ASF reader for virtualdub but also failed due to some technical problem...(WMV is a propriety format by M$ afterall )

The only way to handle WMV at the moment is either:
    1) Make DirectShow File Reader the TOP on the list, and install K-lite codec pack
    OR
    2) Use another program to try converting WMV to MP4 or TRUE avi (HuffYUV/Lagarith/UtVideo) and confirm that it is constant-framerate
    OR
    3) use AviSynth and DSS2 to read the file, and install codec pack

Your use of virtualdub is redundant and may introduce unexpected problem.

For any freeware currently available, avoid WMV codec at all cost....
    I have also tried editing some WMV8 video and ASFBin also FAILED(completely out-of-sync)

But this is true for editing of any VFR videos in general , not just WMV . MKV, FLV, MP4 can be (and quite commonly are) VFR as well

Those 3 options (and other variations) basically convert it to CFR before editing. The 4th option is to use vfr.py with avisynth, editing it in VFR, and keeping VFR timecodes
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154535

Eitherway, VFR isn't really meant to be edited; it's supposed to be an end format

But the OP's problem is more likely a decoding glitch, probably unrelated to VFR
    Quote Quote  
  16. The problem with VFR WMV is... there is no easy way to confirm it as VFR or CFR: MediaInfo may not give reliable info on this.

Since the OP did not give any sample for examination nor detailed workflow, I can't reproduce the problem and my best guess is VFR...

I tried using the WMV sample that came with Win7 ("Wildlife.wmv") which has the following properties:

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : VC-1
    Format profile : Advanced@L3
    Codec ID : WVC1
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile
    Duration : 30s 97ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 5 942 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.215
    Stream size : 21.3 MiB (85%)
    Language : English (US)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : WMA
    Format version : Version 2
    Codec ID : 161
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio 9.2 - 192 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
    Duration : 30s 92ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 705 KiB (3%)
    Language : English (US)
    Reading this file directly using L-Smash/DirectShow has no problem.
    Setting key frames (Edit> Set as keyframe) at random locations, then exporting to either AVI(UtVideo 420 BT.709) or MP4(x264) has no error at all.
    (FYI: a 11 seconds extract converting into an AVI using UtVideo codec gives around 133MB)

so without the info for the source, i can guess:
    1> VFR video? Script-embedded WMV?
    2> a specific problem for WMV in AVI container?
    3> Vdub's problem?
    4> Source video already has minor corruption?
    5> old WMV versions?

For 2, it is meaningless as it is outright pointless to use WMV in AVI;
    For 3, I don't want to wrong Vdub without solid evident;
    For 4 and 5, can't tell without the file at hand or at least without a MediaInfo report;
    While 1 can likely be encountered.

Recently I am really getting fed up with this kind of comments "Your program gives error, period"/"It doesn't work, period".
    I have to rant somewhere or I'm getting nut...

This kind of comment is NOT bug report and unfair to developers. Layman searching the Internet rarely seriously think about it and take the comment as valid for granted and negative comments stay in memory longer than positive ones. If the report is valid, fine; but without concrete info, the developer can't really do anything about it, and in a lot of case, it is the user's fault. So the developer take the blame without a chance to appeal.

I think EVERY AV/PC forum should put up a notice like this:
    When seeking for help, please observe the following or the post will be removed:
    1> Be concrete and specific with your problem
    2> Report the error message, either in text form or as screenshot, if any
    3> If the problem involve some files, upload a zipped sample. For Video file, a report from MediaInfo is essential if providing the actual sample is not possible.
    4> Steps that can reproduce the problem, in as much details as possible, unless the error seems random
    5> Report your PC spec, at minimum: CPU model, OS, Graphics chipset/card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If You are going to edit a crappy source like wmv, then it may be a good idea to import via Avisynth script if you don't want to transcode into intermediate....

Code:
    v=FFvideoSource("C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv").assumefps(30000,1001)
    a=FFAudioSource("C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv")
    AudioDub(v, a)
    ConverttoYUY2()
    That's what I used to edit the WildLife.wmv
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by racer-x; 2nd Aug 2014 at 16:57.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  18. @racer - he's doing direct stream copy / no recompression so avisynth won't work for him
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!