VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.
    Having shot a movie on my iPad mini and transferred it onto my laptop, I have a question about how it displays on the laptop screen.
    In MediaInfo (see attachment info.), it says the clip size is 1920 x 1080 pixels, but when I open it in SMPlayer it doesn't fill the entire screen area.
    My laptop has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, so why doesn't the movie (of the same resolution) cover the entire screen area?
    Please explain this, and how can I resize the movie to fill the screen fully.
    Thanks
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By default many media players like SMPlayer don't start playing full screen. You need to tell it to play full screen by double-clicking inside the preview window, or go into the settings.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried it in another player? MPC, for example?
    If that opens it fullscreen it might be an SMPlayer issue.
    Your mediainfo file says it it is the correct size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upon further review of the media info file, it looks like the classic (Rotation: 90°). Let me guess, you shot your video in "Portrait Mode" instead of "Landscape Mode"? That would explain it....................

Otherwise post a sample.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Upon further review of the media info file, it looks like the classic (Rotation: 90°). Let me guess, you shot your video in "Portrait Mode" instead of "Landscape Mode"? That would explain it....................

Otherwise post a sample.
    Hi.
    Yes, you're right!
    Is their anyway of rectifying this? Can I rotate the dimensions of the video (to give me 1920 x 1080) whilst keeping the image orientation static?
    Please say yes...
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by CrVMo View Post
    Is their anyway of rectifying this? Can I rotate the dimensions of the video (to give me 1920 x 1080) whilst keeping the image orientation static?
    If you rotate the image it will be sideways. The other alternative is to leave it in it's current orientation but cut off the top and bottom of the frame leaving ~1080x608.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Rotations are easy to accomplish in Quicktime Player Pro, and then resave (losslessly) as a new MOV.

However, if you accidentally recorded it that way, when you rotate, of course ALL vertical images will be sideways, etc. No getting around that - EVER.

Best thing you can do now is (choose one):
    1. Leave it alone
    2. Zoom, crop, re-encode & lose quality
    3. Pillarbox/Pad, re-encode & lose quality
    4. Rotate your monitor/display to portrait mode (leaving the video alone)
    5. Rotate the video and enjoy watching things sideways

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    OK guys, thanks for your advice.
    I'll make sure next time I shoot a movie on my iPad to get the orientation right.

Regards,

CrVMo
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!