VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here I'm again bringing another newbie question to you video guru guys...

I'm in process of installing a brand new Win 8.1 system. The system is completely blank of codecs, whereas I know.
    I'd like to use Vdub, primarily to edit and cut mp4 and flv videos from Youtube.
    They use to have AVC1 video codec and AAC audio codec.

Following some advices from you, I'll avoid to instal codec packs, like K-Lite and other ones. So, what do you recommend to install firstly?
    ffdshow? And what about VFW to decode and encode inside Vdub? Because the current version of it, I think, has no VFW section.
    Haali Splitter? x264vfw codec? And what about flash videos, flv extension?

So, I'm not an expert, for this reason I'm asking your help to guide and explain the most simple and best way to install just the basic codecs with no conflict among them.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I forgot to mention about DirectShowInput and QTime plugins. What the latest version of both? Where to find? They are really needed?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't use VirtualDub much, but there's links to all the appropriate plugins in the VideoHelp, VirtualDub download page. You'll need the appropriate ones for whichever file types you're trying to open, assuming they're not AVI. They just reside in VirutualDub's plugins folder. It's easy to add/remove them.
    The FFMPEG Input Driver plugin supports quite a few file types and includes decoders. You can have more than one plugin for a particular file type (you may have 2 or 3 which support MP4, for example) and VirtualDub lets you choose which one to use as you open a file. Experimenting with plugins can't hurt.

I think the no ffdshow/vfw thing only applies to the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version still has it (someone else may be able to confirm that, as I don't run Win8).

All I install myself is ffdshow and the Haali splitter, the latter being because MeGUI requires it. You possibly don't need it. For Win7/8 you might also need this.

If you want to use VirtualDub for x264 encoding you can do so via it's "external encoder" feature (under options). There you can set up and use the commandline version of the x264 encoder (and other encoders such as NeroAAC etc). It can be a bit of a pain to get it working, but once you do, there's no need for a x264 VFW version. There is one though, which I assume works fine. I've never used it myself.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!