VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, I used to be able to use DVD Shrink and Decrypt along with IMGBurn on my laptop and desktop, and suddenly both just died out. My desktop info is on this img
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dvddecrypt info.jpg
Views:	1756
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	26599

I use memorex disc DVDS. i used to be able to burn dvds 10's of 20's at a time. now this suddenly happened and the drive won't recognize there is a DVD inside.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Kevin.PDI; 26th Jul 2014 at 16:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kevin.PDI View Post
    Hey guys, I used to be able to use DVD Shrink and Decrypt along ewith IMGBurn on my laptop and desktop, and suddenly both just died out. My desktop info is on this img
    [Attachment 26599 - Click to enlarge]

I use memorex discs dod the DVDS. i used to be able to burn dvds 10 of 20's at a time. now this suddenly happened.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.
    What are you talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What are you talking about?
    I think he's saying when he puts a DVD into the drive it doesn't get seen.

Is it only this one DVD or any you put in? Does the other drive see the DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes manono is correct I do not see the disc come up, as if the drive was empty. I have tried 3 different DVD blanks of the same brand. Also when the disc was in it would randomly make the "a DVD was detected what would you like to do" window come up
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your discs are low quality crap. Memorex has ALWAYS been bad. I know that you will follow up my post with a statement of absolute shock and surprise and say "But I have used these discs for years and never had a problem". I wish I could get paid every time a new guy posts that about crap DVD discs. I really do.

There are a couple of reasons why your crap discs may have worked fine in the past but aren't working now. One is that the discs may be even worse now than your previous buys of them. It happens. It's also possible that your burner is dying. Crap media is harder to burn because of its lower quality and your drive may have reached the point where it can no longer deal with these bad discs but might be able to extend its life a little bit longer if you used good quality discs and burned at lower speeds. In the USA the only good quality discs left are Taiyo Yuden (you will have buy these online) or anything by Verbatim EXCEPT their "Life" series. Their Life series is probably better than your Memorex land fill grade discs, but the Life series is a lot lower quality than their good stuff. They had to start making it because too many US consumers only care about price, not quality, and they won't pay more for better media, so Verbatim covers the low cost, low quality garbage end of the market for those people.

You might be interested to know that as your Memorex discs are and always have been crap that you can expect those old burns to start failing at some point. We've had plenty of posts from people just like you who are crying about how their "perfect" old discs can't be played or read by any device of PC and they have no idea how this can happen. It might take a couple of years or perhaps longer, but don't be surprised if your old discs don't work any more at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, as usual jman98 is absolutely right. Further, I might add that if retail DVDs show up fine, it's confirmation that Memorex is the problem. If you get a better brand and they show up, then that's further confirmation. If you're in the US I might suggest buying some Verbatims at a good price on Amazon.com:

www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Branded-Recordable-100-Disc-97460/dp/B003ZDNZT2/

But if your burner is on the way out, even they might not help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok maybe you didn't read the whole post. The discs used to work and used to be 'seen' by the drive. Now it won't show up in the drive, but it happened to both my laptop and desktop within a matter of 2 days. I'm not saying anything about the burn quality. I'm talking about the ability to see the disk itself in general as a blank disc. It won't show up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are the drive settings in control panel?
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you now add that two different machines fail to recognise disks.

If it was just one, some setting could have changed. For it to happen with two, points directly, as stated, to the disks themselves.

People do get attached to a particular 'brand'. The problem is that most disks are not made by the name on the box. What worked before, bad as it might have been, might not work now especially if the true manufacturer has changed.

Do yourself a big favour. Get some disks as recommended above.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try it on a friend's machine. If three drives can't read it the media is definitely fooked.
    If their's can 'see' it then you have two bad drives (worn out from overwork by the sound of it).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Kevin.PDI View Post
    Ok maybe you didn't read the whole post. The discs used to work and used to be 'seen' by the drive. Now it won't show up in the drive, but it happened to both my laptop and desktop within a matter of 2 days. I'm not saying anything about the burn quality.
    Nor are we. But nothing you've said disproves it's the lousy discs you're using that are at fault. Maybe it's not the fault of the Memorex discs, but you've shown no evidence to prove otherwise. I'll ask again; do retail pressed discs show up? Do blank and burned discs of another brand show up? Do your other burned Memorex discs show up? It's only three (so far) from a stack of Memorex's that aren't seen?

I've had several instances where part of a stack of blank discs burn fine and then I'll get a few that won't, and then some more that will burn. These were the equally bad CMC Magnetics discs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok maybe you didn't read the whole post.
    And obviously neither is he
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok maybe you didn't read the whole post. The discs used to work and used to be 'seen' by the drive. Now it won't show up in the drive, but it happened to both my laptop and desktop within a matter of 2 days. I'm not saying anything about the burn quality. I'm talking about the ability to see the disk itself in general as a blank disc. It won't show up.
    That's the problem. Bad discs won't initialize in the drive so it will produce the message you are seeing. I too have had bad batches in a spindle with good and cheap discs. For some reason I've had fantastic success with RW discs of all brands and flavors.

Another possibility is a conflict. Are you running another disc access program at the same time. I've seen something similar when someone was running DVDinfo pro to get the media ID and then tried to read/write a disc without closing that program.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    Surely the most useful information that you've been asked is - "can your DVD drives see and read a commercial film DVD?" Without knowing that, it is really nigh on impossible to know, if the drives have failed, or, if the discs are at fault.
    I am based in London UK and use either Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim discs, both DVD and CD. Years ago, I used TDK discs but have found that some are no longer readable.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It could also be the fact that a TS-H492C isn't a DVD burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It could also be the fact that a TS-H492C isn't a DVD burner.
    LOL......yes I believe we have a winner.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    He can't burn from that drive he put the disc in. But according to that photo he posted, Dvd Decrypter lists that he also has a dvd-ram +/-dvd-rw drive. I believe the "medium not present" problem is because Dvd Decrypter can't handle the provided disc on it's own. The source file is an ISO and needs to be mounted, before Dvd Decrypter can do anything with it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mr.Delusional View Post
    He can't burn from that drive he put the disc in. But according to that photo he posted, Dvd Decrypter lists that he also has a dvd-ram +/-dvd-rw drive. I believe the "medium not present" problem is because Dvd Decrypter can't handle the provided disc on it's own. The source file is an ISO and needs to be mounted, before Dvd Decrypter can do anything with it.
    Dvd Decrypter can handle ISO files directly. A DVD-ROM drive is not meant to handle empty discs when attempting to burn them, duh.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    gonca

your probably 100% correct. I haven't dealt with an iso in about 8 years. (just haven't had a reason to) Going by my memory, I believed it needed to be mounted. My bad for posting misinformation.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!