VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi , i have a usb camera (spy) with a micro sd card , i used it with a AA battery power source to film about 3 or 4 hours, recording 1 to 3 mnutes long avi videos,
    the last time i used it record about 20 segments , the first 10 of them were correct but i cant view the other 10, in the folder appears all with the correct filesize
    i´ve tried to play them with a lot of programs (media player, vlc, quicktime, allplayer, smedia,etc) without results , nothing to see on screen , and tried to repair them with another bunch of programs , but the mayor of them says that it is not a valid avi file or not supported file.
    Gspot shows no info about them (file type: unknown , mime type : unknown )
    AutoGK says format not supported.
    Do you know about another program that can repair this files,

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please post (in detail) what mediainfo says about one of your good ones, and one of your bad ones...

Open up one of your bad ones in a hex editor. Does it have a similar start code sequence to one of the good ones? Or does it just have all zeros? Or is it something else? If all zeros, you're out of luck, as nothing was recorded. If similar, they might be fixable. Something else, couldn't say ATM.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the good one gspot info

Click image for larger version

Name:	goodone.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	26605

This is badone info

Name:	badone.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	26607

Goodone Hex editor info

Name:	good hex editor.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	26606

Badone hex editor info

Name:	bad hex editor.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	26604
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't give me gspot info, give me MediaInfo info!

Also, your screencaps are unhelpful because the hex codes are so small as to be illegible.

Scott

Btw, much better to use png or gif, or even bmp than jpg when uploading program screencaps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Seeing the hex dump... MediaInfo will not give you anything useful. The header of the AVI is gone and has been replaced by junk. It's gonna be tough getting video out of that file. One thing you might try is copying the header from a good file onto the bad file (make a backup, of course).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (...Another area where tablet/mobile experience doesn't cut it compared to standard PC experience - you can zoom in with high quality on the pix.)

I agree. There MIGHT be valid RIFF payload data in the file somewhere, but it certainly isn't at the beginning. In the hex editor, you could do a search on "RIFF" or "AVI", along with a few other reserved words and/or stream header codes.
    Now it comes down to a sophisticated, pattern-matching, cut & replace problem - if it works at all. Not well suited for newbies.

Have you tried any of the online "avi video file repair" possibilities?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried a online file repair, i just make a test because it have a cost, and i can see some snapshots there, so i think there is video on that files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't restoration -- it's data recovery.
    There's a difference.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IMO, I would think of this as a spectrum, where "recovery" covers ~2/3 of the spectrum and "restoration" covers ~1/3, with a bit of fuzziness at the border. But I get where you're coming from.

However, I think Baldrick would have to be the decider of where this thread belongs...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!