VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased panasonic dmr15 dvd recorder in2008.It worked well.But from last six months its video out signals are not working. I took it Panasonic Centre. After checking they said its board will be change that is not available and also expensive. Then after some days they
    called me it is ok. they said it was board leakage now it is ok.They charged about one third of the my dvd recorder purchase amount.But
    after15 days that defect was again as earlier.Ishow it anothr panasonic centre. He told that nothing had done service centre .Only heat sink was adjusted that is flop now and only soloution is changing board.Except video out function all is ok by this set.Read recording and other functions work properly but all video output s video av scart and component do not out video.Please guide me .Is any policy of panasonic to change this set with an other model with paying extra amount or how can i solve this unit problem. It is clear that set had no warrenty for my country that was only for Usa.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think your out of luck. 6 years for a DVDR is way more than can realistically be expected, the ES-15 while a decent DVDR(I have many) was kind of the first of the disposable DVDRs(I paid $99 USD new for several of mine, I think the retail was ~$150USD) and definitely a drop in build quality from the previous ES-10/30v models. About half of my ES-15s have died, almost all from laser failures or U66/U99 errors, but I still have a few that continue on. Personally I would not suggest spending anymore money on a EH-15, use it while you can and toss it when it goes bad. I know countries other than the N. American ones tend to fix things rather than toss, with the cost of replacement parts something like a modern DVDR just isn't worth fixing. Especially in your case when it may be the main board, if you can find someone locally who'll solder in a replacement laser(which if you can find one may be relatively inexpensive) the mainboard is the heart of your machine.
    Note the ES-18 you talked about it your other thread while a decent DVDR is probably the same build quality as the ES-15, if you could find a older(maybe '05) Panasonic ES-10 or combo ES-30v or even a HDD EH-50 model, they are a fair amount better build quality and tend to last longer. Of course if the mainboard goes(very very rare) you'd still be SOL but the lasers(most common fault on Panasonic DVDRs) tend to last almost forever. In fact while I've had several ES-15s(and similar vintage) Panasonics have laser failures I've never(knock on wood) had a '05 and older fail on me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very thanks for detailed reply.ES 10 new availability is difficult prehaps used available.Is sony samsung product is not trusted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it would very hard to find a "new" ES-10, it's a '05 model. If you could find a nice condition used one it might be good but DVDRs of that age are somewhat prone to premature capacitor failure which can be generally fixed for a few dollars in parts but finding someone to do it for cheap may be hard.
    Old Sony made Sony DVDRs had a following but the newer ones aren't made by Sony(I think LG or Samsung??) and are known for issues, mostly related to false copy protection warnings. Not a big fan of Samsung DVDRs either although others may feel differently and may respond.
    DVDRs are kind of a dying product, the best were made in the middle 00's(05'-06') which by now are getting kind of old for this type of product. If you can get a decent price for a new ES-18 it may be your best bet, that or try and find a good condition ES-10. I'm not a big fan of the ES-20 due to it's quirky operating system, it was made right around the time of the ES-15, it's sister model would be the combo VHS DVDR ES-40 which is also quirky.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!