VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to digitise a load of VHS tapes, and I got some help on one of the other forums here just a few hours back. Now I've hit another problem.

I'm using an EZCap (not a fake one) and a laptop running Windows 7. When I first got the EZCap, all was working fine... then after a blue screen crash I found that suddenly I couldn't get any capture software to see the input from the EZCap - either it'd give an error message or (as with VirtualDub) it would just sit there doing nothing (VDub says it's "connected to capture device: WDM 2861 Capture (Direct Show)" but there's nothing showing). I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, uninstalled and reinstalled the EZCap drivers, nothing worked, and I just assumed I'd bought a piece of crap and it had broken.

Then as a last resort I ran System Restore, back to when I knew it was working - and suddenly everything was working beautifully again. So the problem wasn't with the EZCap, it was with... something on the computer, but I've got no idea what that was. Presumably something to do with the blue-screen that happened earlier. Anyway, a few days later the same thing happened again, so I did System Restore again and once more, it went back to normal.

Anyway, a few hours ago I had another crash and when I next tried to capture some video the problem was there again. So, I went to system restore - but this time there was only one Restore Point there, from an hour or so ago (yes, even when I checked the box to show more). I've since discovered that this is an issue with Windows 7 and there's no way to get those old restore points back.

So I can't fix it that way, and I'm now stuck with a USB capture card which won't work on my computer. Does anyone know what's likely to have caused this, and if not, could someone help me work out what the problem is, and how to fix it? Why is the software seeing the hardware but not the input from it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ogron View Post
    I'm trying to digitise a load of VHS tapes, and I got some help on one of the other forums here just a few hours back. Now I've hit another problem.

I'm using an EZCap (not a fake one) and a laptop running Windows 7. When I first got the EZCap, all was working fine... then after a blue screen crash I found that suddenly I couldn't get any capture software to see the input from the EZCap - either it'd give an error message or (as with VirtualDub) it would just sit there doing nothing (VDub says it's "connected to capture device: WDM 2861 Capture (Direct Show)" but there's nothing showing). I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, uninstalled and reinstalled the EZCap drivers, nothing worked, and I just assumed I'd bought a piece of crap and it had broken.

Then as a last resort I ran System Restore, back to when I knew it was working - and suddenly everything was working beautifully again. So the problem wasn't with the EZCap, it was with... something on the computer, but I've got no idea what that was. Presumably something to do with the blue-screen that happened earlier. Anyway, a few days later the same thing happened again, so I did System Restore again and once more, it went back to normal.

Anyway, a few hours ago I had another crash and when I next tried to capture some video the problem was there again. So, I went to system restore - but this time there was only one Restore Point there, from an hour or so ago (yes, even when I checked the box to show more). I've since discovered that this is an issue with Windows 7 and there's no way to get those old restore points back.

So I can't fix it that way, and I'm now stuck with a USB capture card which won't work on my computer. Does anyone know what's likely to have caused this, and if not, could someone help me work out what the problem is, and how to fix it? Why is the software seeing the hardware but not the input from it?
    Download and install the free edition of "WhoCrashed". Running it may reveal the cause of the BSODs.

If you had created a back-up image of your system drive on another hard drive at some point before you began having problems, you could have used that to repair your computer. If nobody else here knows of a way to find the missing restore points, you may need to do a repair OS install with a Windows 7 installation DVD or if that fails, a full Windows 7 OS re-install from the recovery partition on your laptop. There should be instructions for doing that at the laptop manufacturer's website.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jul 2014 at 11:58.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for replying.

This is what WhoCrashed says:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 25/07/2014 01:16:16 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072514-22744-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x22, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 25/07/2014 01:16:16 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: debutfilterx64.sys (debutfilterx64+0x430F)
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: debutfilterx64.sys .
    Google query: debutfilterx64.sys BAD_POOL_HEADER

On Fri 18/07/2014 16:52:29 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071814-30872-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conclusion
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

debutfilterx64.sys

OK, I'm not a Windows man so I don't really understand all this - is debutfilterx64.sys a normal part of Windows, or is it related to Debut, the crappy free software I was trying for a while (and have since uninstalled, because I ended up with malware/adware which apparently happens all the time with NCH software)? I sort-of know what ntoskrnl.exe is, but that doesn't help me much...

Why are two different crashes listed as happening at exactly the same time? Did one thing fail and immediately cause another to fail?

If it helps, I seem to remember that the 1.16 crash happened when I pulled out the USB connection to the EZCap while VirtualDub was still on. That might have been a bit stupid.

Basically, I need to know what I can do to fix this. And if I do fix these issues here, will everything start working again? And - this will sound like a total newbie question, but I normally use Ubuntu and I'm not that aware of how Windows works - if I do a full re-install, would that wipe all my data and documents too? Remember I've got 250GB of carefully-edited video files on here which are too big to back up via flash drive or DVD...
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you read carefully in the first instance it's telling you ntoskrnl.exe crashed likely because of a bad driver, then it goes a little deeper and tells you in the second instance that debutfilterx64.sys is a bad driver and it caused the BAD_POOL_HEADER error. Get rid of that software, make sure the file is gone and use Ccleaner to check the registry.

You could also get USBDeview, look for all entries that match the ez-cap and delete them, that will remove any link in the registry between the ez-cap and whatever else might have hijacked it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

OK, I'm not a Windows man so I don't really understand all this - is debutfilterx64.sys a normal part of Windows, or is it related to Debut, the crappy free software I was trying for a while (and have since uninstalled, because I ended up with malware/adware which apparently happens all the time with NCH software)? I sort-of know what ntoskrnl.exe is, but that doesn't help me much...

Why are two different crashes listed as happening at exactly the same time? Did one thing fail and immediately cause another to fail?
    WhoCrashed findings indicate that ntoskrnl.exe itself is not the cause of your problems. It says debutfilterx64.sys is most likely to be the real troublemaker. debutfilterx64.sys is related to NCH's Debut software and apparently has caused BSODs for others. NCH's uninstaller should have removed it. The recommended procedure would be to re-install the Debut software responsible for installing it and run the software's uninstaller. I have no idea how it can safely be removed otherwise.

If it helps, I seem to remember that the 1.16 crash happened when I pulled out the USB connection to the EZCap while VirtualDub was still on. That might have been a bit stupid.
    Yes, it is probably a good idea to shut down any software that you are using for capture before disconnecting a USB capture device. You may also want to check the System Tray on the Taskbar and see if there is a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon there with a listing related to your device. If so, use Safely Remove Hardware on the device before disconnecting.

Basically, I need to know what I can do to fix this. And if I do fix these issues here, will everything start working again? And - this will sound like a total newbie question, but I normally use Ubuntu and I'm not that aware of how Windows works - if I do a full re-install, would that wipe all my data and documents too?
    A Windows 7 repair install (see the link in my previous post) will preserve your data. A full Windows 7 re-install will generally save your data in a folder if there is room for it, but don't rely on it. Regardless of which install option you decide to try, it is best to back up your data first.

I can't 100% guaranty that anything will fix your problem. A full Windows re-install is most likely to fix it, but generally that is reserved as a last resort because it is time consuming.

Remember I've got 250GB of carefully-edited video files on here which are too big to back up via flash drive or DVD...
    Get a second hard drive to back up your data and Windows 7 boot drive. You should have been doing that all along.

[Edit]nic2k4's advice to use CCleaner to insure all traces of debutfilterx64.sys are gone is good. I would imagine that using USBDView will also be helpful.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jul 2014 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks very much. Please be slightly patient with me here... dumb questions but hopefully quite simple ones to answer.

I've uninstalled Debut, but I'm not 100% sure that debutfilterx64.sys has gone. It's not in C:\Windows\System32\drivers, which is where I'd expect to find it. I'm not 100% sure how to do a system-wide search for a file like this (again, I'm too used to Ubuntu where this kind of thing is a bit easier). What's the quickest way to make absolutely sure it's gone?

I've downloaded the 2 programs you recommended. Ccleaner looks good but frighteningly powerful, and I'm not sure what you mean by "check the registry". Doesn't look like the sort of program you'd want to operate with L-plates on, so if you could guide me through this I'd appreciate that a lot.

USBDeview seems a bit simpler - I can see two entries listed as "USB Composite Device", which I assume relates to the EZCap, and at the top there are also "USB Video Device", "USB Audio Device" and "USB 2861 Device". I assume these are also EZCap-related (VDub sees it as "WDM 2861 Capture"). Should I delete all of these?

Thanks again - sorry to be a pain.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    WhoCrashed findings indicate that ntoskrnl.exe itself is not the cause of your problems. It says debutfilterx64.sys is most likely to be the real troublemaker. debutfilterx64.sys is related to NCH's Debut software and apparently has caused BSODs for others.
    Cheers - Ive just been reading up on this and I've got it now.

You may also want to check the System Tray on the Taskbar and see if there is a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon there with a listing related to your device. If so, use Safely Remove Hardware on the device before disconnecting.
    There wasn't - I did look for that! The only reason I unplugged it while the program was running was that, umm, I forgot the program was running. What can I say? Late night.

Get a second hard drive to back up your data and Windows 7 boot drive. You should have been doing that all along.
    Yeah, you're right. Unfortunately my 1TB external drive is in use for backing up the data from my Ubuntu desktop, and I didn't think I'd need another for this project, as I didn't anticipate it being quite so problematic...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    OK, so I did a search in C:, having enabled the search function to show me hidden files, and those system files which Windows likes to keep hidden from the user. Didn't find the dodgy .sys file there.

Then I looked at the registry in CCleaner, and among the billions of "problems" listed, there were four relating to Debut or NCH Software. They mostly seemed to be loose ends from the uninstall.

Problem: Open with application issue Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Debut\debut.exe" -extfind VideoPad "%L"

Problem: Application Paths Issue Data: C:\Users.....etc.....\debutsetup.exe

Problem: Missing MUI Reference Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Debut\debut.exe

Problem: Missing MUI Reference Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad\videopad.exe

I didn't do anything to these, because I wasn't sure what I was actually doing. None of the folders listed there ("NCH Software" etc) still exist on my computer. Should I still click on the "fix" button?

Then I opened up USBDeview and got rid of all the EZCap-related entries (I think so, anyway - they all had the same vendorID etc, which is definitely the one associated with EZCap).

Then I rebooted, reinstalled the drivers, rebooted again, plugged in the EZCap, fired up VirtualDub and... no change. Still not seeing anything.

What the hell is going on here? Does anyone have the faintest clue? Have I missed an important step, or is my computer now just unable to do what it was doing perfectly well this time yesterday?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I did a search in C:, having enabled the search function to show me hidden files, and those system files which Windows likes to keep hidden from the user. Didn't find the dodgy .sys file there.

Then I looked at the registry in CCleaner, and among the billions of "problems" listed, there were four relating to Debut or NCH Software. They mostly seemed to be loose ends from the uninstall.

Problem: Open with application issue Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Debut\debut.exe" -extfind VideoPad "%L"

Problem: Application Paths Issue Data: C:\Users.....etc.....\debutsetup.exe

Problem: Missing MUI Reference Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Debut\debut.exe

Problem: Missing MUI Reference Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad\videopad.exe

I didn't do anything to these, because I wasn't sure what I was actually doing. None of the folders listed there ("NCH Software" etc) still exist on my computer. Should I still click on the "fix" button?
    Yes click the fix button. You want to clean up any registry problems related to the NCH software.

Then I opened up USBDeview and got rid of all the EZCap-related entries (I think so, anyway - they all had the same vendorID etc, which is definitely the one associated with EZCap).

Then I rebooted, reinstalled the drivers, rebooted again, plugged in the EZCap, fired up VirtualDub and... no change. Still not seeing anything.

What the hell is going on here? Does anyone have the faintest clue? Have I missed an important step, or is my computer now just unable to do what it was doing perfectly well this time yesterday?
    I don't know what is wrong, but these things happen sometimes. I had to fully re-install Windows 7 last week after uninstalling one capture device and installing a different one because afterwards everything video-related suddenly stopped working. You could try a repair OS install (not a full install). That is not likely to destroy your data. but you should get a hard drive and back up your existing captures first as insurance. Considering the time spend on them not doing so is foolish. Even if the EzCap begins to work again, if the hard drive your edited captures are stored on now happens to fail, you will have no choice but to start over.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    OK... deep sigh. Got it working again. I zapped all the NCH stuff from the registry, removed everything EZCap-related in USBDeview, then found a different set of drivers on the EZCap website (the only difference is that they support Skype and stuff like that, but at least they weren't the exact same drivers, so it was worth a go). Finally got it all going again. And created a new Restore Point.

Thanks for your patience and help here - there's no way I could have fixed this otherwise. I'd already spent hours Googling and come up with nothing. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!