VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I am ripping the season 4 episodes off of the Animaniacs Volume 4 DVDs and everything looks good so far except for the first episode. The first episode of season four is the last chapter on the first disc in Volume 4 (the rest of the chapters were from season 3).

I was using One-Click encode in MeGUI for the tracks on the second disc, and all of the episodes turned out okay. I ripped VOBs to chapters using DVDDecrypter for the second disc and did the same for the first disc, but only selected the last three chapters. The VOBs play fine, but when I try to encode them with MeGUI One-Click or with an avs script, the videos come out with visible interlacing. In the avs script I tried using: TFM().TDecimate() or TFM(mode=5, slow=2, clip2=QTGMC(sourcematch=3, tr2=0, FPSDivisor=2)).TDecimate(hybrid=1) but AvsPmod had a problem with not being able to find QTGMC so I just tried TFM.TDecimate(hybrid=1) but that didn't work either.

Do you guys have any ideas about what else to try to get rid of the interlacing? I would like to keep using MeGUI to keep the encodes consistent, if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abbotta4 View Post
    Hi guys,

Do you guys have any ideas about what else to try to get rid of the interlacing? I would like to keep using MeGUI to keep the encodes consistent, if possible.
    Can you provide a 10 second clip showing the problem? Without it, anything is just a guess.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hm. I thought standard DVD was interlaced. With TV shows made on film, aren't they telecined?
    Wait, let me get out a bunch of my tv show and movies on DVD check.
    Yep. All my retail DVD's are either interlaced or telecined. I guess those Hollywood guys who make DVD's don't know what the hell they're doing.

Is it possible that we've seen posts similar to this recently?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry that the object of movement (Skippy Squirrel) is so small in these clips. In the frames surrounding this small scene, there isn't much interlacing. The bigger file is the VOB muxed into mkv and the smaller one is the encode

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Hm. I thought standard DVD was interlaced. With TV shows made on film, aren't they telecined?
    Wait, let me get out a bunch of my tv show and movies on DVD check.
    Yep. All my retail DVD's are either interlaced or telecined. I guess those Hollywood guys who make DVD's don't know what the hell they're doing.

Is it possible that we've seen posts similar to this recently?
    My understanding of telecined is that you have a pattern of progressive and interlaced frames. This seemed to be the case with the other frames, but neither One-Click nor TFM().TDecimate() were able to get rid of the interlaced frames.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Abbotta4; 24th Jul 2014 at 20:51.
    Quote Quote  
  5. TFM().TDecimate() works fine on your sample . But there is combing in your encode. What source filter was used? Post the log file
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is your test encode " VTS_01_CHAPTER_43_1 (1)-002.mkv" encoded from the same "test" source file " VTS_01_CHAPTER_43_1-002.mkv"? Because it's missing 8 frames as well - they look like they are from different cuts. Your encode starts earlier than the "source" file you provided. That is problematic because the field matching can be different if you don't test the same source

All I did was demux with mkvextract, then use DGIndex to index

MPEG2Source()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They were the same source but I couldn't cut at the same frame because the encode had different key frames. So you demuxed the encode, used DGIndex to get a .d2v, then did you encode with MeGUI with that avs script to get your file? or did you use a different encoding program?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Abbotta4 View Post
    They were the same source but I couldn't cut at the same frame because the encode had different key frames. So you demuxed the encode, used DGIndex to get a .d2v, then did you encode with MeGUI with that avs script to get your file? or did you use a different encoding program?
    No, I demuxed the "source" (what you said was the VOB), not the encode; then I indexed that MPEG2 stream with dgindex, then I used x264 directly with .avs input with the script above

Try testing again on that cut "source", or post the source that you actually used. The frame differences or cuts might matter for the matches used
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 24th Jul 2014 at 23:36.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am noticing now that your script uses MPEG2SOURCE() where my script looks like:
    DirectShowSource("D:\path\to\folder\VIDEO_TS\VTS_0 1_CHAPTER_43_1.vob")
    TFM().TDecimate()
    could the difference between MPEG2SOURCE and DirectShowSource be the problem? What is the difference between these two?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Abbotta4 View Post
    I am noticing now that your script uses MPEG2SOURCE() where my script looks like:
    TFM().TDecimate()
    could the difference between MPEG2SOURCE and DirectShowSource be the problem? What is the difference between these two?

Many differences. The main difference is directshowsource() is unreliable and not necessarily frame accurate. It relies on system installed splitters and codecs and directshow filters, so it's not necessarily consistent between systems. DirectShowSource() is usually only used as a very last effort if nothing else works. That's why the very first question I asked was "what source filter was used", because it's the culprit behind many avisynth result inconsistencies

For DVD's , MPEG2 sources, DGIndex and MPEG2Source() is the most reliable method. The indexing ensures frame accuracy. Yes, it's an extra step, but it's much more consistent

But you still have to test on the same source sample. The same cut. There is still a possibility that something else is wrong
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 25th Jul 2014 at 00:09.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Abbotta4 View Post
    my script looks like:
    TFM().TDecimate()
    Try:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("D:\path\to\folder\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_CHAPTER_43_1.vob")
    AssumeTFF()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    Mpeg2Source() is better though.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!