VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First my system spec and some settings in svp:

8 core AMD FX-8350
    GTX670 4gb
    16gb of ram ddr3

threads in the preferences are set to 16 by default, I guess I could set it to 8 without a problem; anyways. my dynamix ram is set to 2400. I'm using the Sony AVC/MVC since it "fixes" or gives better results because of pixels in frames to what I've heard and still testing on that part to be honest. It's set to 1080p, high profile, none progessive scan variable bitrate set to 11,000,000 and I'm using the gpu for rendering.

not fastest but pretty good for rendering videos. I got a gameplay video of 40 minutes long.

Now if I render just the video without any filters or any effects, it takes me the same time of the video which should be around 40 minutes or so. If I dare use some filters that number could easily increase to 3 hours which I could understand. The problem here which I found is this. I got rainmeter which tells my the usage of my GPU and it constantly gives me 30-40%... never higher

Is this intended or a bug or did I miss something in some option somewhere ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gpu usage.PNG
Views:	324
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	26553
    This screenshot shows the sony vegas pro running for 10 minutes...notice the bars on the gpu graph...they never go over 45% ??????? why is that ? To me this means if it could go over 45% I could easily shave half the time I use right now so instead of 3 hours I would get 1 hour and a half easily with filters and all.

thanks for the help in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not all filters/effects or GPU powered encoders can max out the GPU , and only certain encoding tasks in the encoding pipeline can make use of the GPU at all ("GPU encoder" doesn't mean ONLY GPU encode - certain parts of encoding tasks still rely on CPU). Also GPU or CPU usage isn't necessarily proportional to encoding time

Only certain applications like GPU benchmarking software, certain games under certain settings can make use max out 100% GPU usage

Also note sometimes there are bottlenecks in the workflow. Certain filters/effects for example. Bottlenecks may reduce the CPU usage
    Quote Quote  
  3. is it possible that because my hard drive is not an SSD that could effect its performance...writing the "file" on the hard drive ? or that won't do enough of an effect to reduce the render time ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bigbangnet View Post
    is it possible that because my hard drive is not an SSD that could effect its performance...writing the "file" on the hard drive ? or that won't do enough of an effect to reduce the render time ?

Not unless the HDD is severely fragmented or damaged

I/O throughput won't be a bottleneck for a single HDD unless you're using uncompressed video
    Quote Quote  
  5. no its compressed so the HD is not the problem...mhh by what you say everything sounds normal. I wonder if I get a better card in the 7xx gtx series I could get better performance ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know. I doubt it will make that much of a difference. You can check/ask in the sony vegas forums they should have some GPU comparison tests

Quality wise, a good CPU encoder like x264 will still be better. (higher quality at equivalent bitrates)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!