VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good evening, Everyone! (。◠‿◠。✿)

I am new to this forum, so I ask for your guidance and patience, should my question be a stupid one!
    My husband and I like watching movies together, but the movies need to have Japanese subtitles since he does not speak or understand English.
    I am a housewife and since I sometimes am left with some time after finishing the chores of the day, I thought I might be able to start subtitling some movies myself so we can enjoy them together.

I am a graphic designer and know my way well on a computer.
    My question is> what software should I use to add Japanese subtitles to a movie?
    The movies we watch are always files in our computers, either AVI or mp4, usually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ٩(๑⌒ᴗ⌒๑)۶
    呉ローラです。よろしくお願い致します!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Depends somewhat on the player you use. VLC for example supports japanese subtitles in a separate .ASS file.

Perhaps you could find the subtitles on the net? Or use Subtitle Edit to translate an english subtitle. It's a Google translation so perhaps half of the subtitles will be OK while you need to edit the rest. Or you may make them from scratch in SE.

Forgot to mention: You should name your subtitles the same as thee movie like:

Video.mp4
    Video.ass

Also if you have the subtitles in a different language SE can use it's timecodes saving you time.
    Last edited by videobruger; 23rd Jul 2014 at 06:04. Reason: addendum
    Quote Quote  
  3. Videobruger, thank you for the kind reply!
    We use Windows Media Player. Some movies online can be watched already with Japanese subtitles, but it seems that the best American movies just do not come here to Japan unfortunately.
    I find Google translator to be very inaccurate.... mu husband used it a few times to translate tings from English to Japanese and the final result could barely be understood! That's why I thought of making the subtitles myself, for him! (^_^)

Is there a link that provides Japanese subtitles to American movies? I tried to search but had no luck...
    Any guidance is REALLY appreciated!
    呉ローラです。よろしくお願い致します!
    Quote Quote  
  4. 日本人なら:AviUtl。導入がめんどぐさいなら、コレ→http://ch.nicovideo.jp/belkyros/blomaga/ar180743
    翻訳について、GoogleよりWeblioの方がいいです: http://translate.weblio.jp/

Other tools for subbing: AegisSub (for external subs like SRT and ASS)
    When timing for subtitles, remember to start the text ~200ms before voice, and keep it until ~500ms after voice
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kureno_Lola View Post
    Videobruger, thank you for the kind reply!
    We use Windows Media Player. Some movies online can be watched already with Japanese subtitles, but it seems that the best American movies just do not come here to Japan unfortunately.
    As an American, I find this very interesting as I think most American movies are crap and I'm much more interested in Asian movies because they actually have plots. In America many of our movies like the current Transformers movie are idiotic. But some of our films are good. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is a good one.

I'm sure that there are sites that would have Japanese subtitles for American movies. I don't claim to be an expert on the Chinese and Japanese languages but my very limited understanding is that the old characters that Japan got from China are what today would be called Traditional Chinese characters. If you can read Traditional Chinese characters then http:://shooter.cn has Traditional Chinese subtitles for many American movies. VLC is probably a lot better to use than Windows Media Player as VLC allows you to open external subtitle files.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!