VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hi friends
    i don't know what this is called but does anybody know how to create a screen with a written message (say on a black background) within a certain point in a video? (i am instructing how to do something but in the video i forgot to mention something very important). so in a certain point in the video, i'd like to make a screen with a message that people will read before i continue with my instructions.

i'm using avidemux but i've noticed another limitation with this program (no transitions), so does anybody know, if avidemux doesn't do this ... "screen with message for a half a minute or so within a video", does anybody know another free program that does this as well as transitions? somebody suggested another free program for trasnsitions but i'm not sure if that program also could do this. i'm sick of downloading free programs that i've got to figure out how to work, only to find out that they don't do certain things after i've lerant how to use it. hence, why i'm asking for somebody's opinion, if you don't mind.

thank you so much for any replies in advance.
    leesa
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may want to try an OLD version of Avidemux from before they started removing the filters, the only problem with that is that, for me, AviDemux was never very good at accurately getting the "stop - start" right. You input start at frame 550 for example and you end up adjusting for what seems hours to get it to do it exactly where you want it.
    When I need to filter only a part of a video I use VirtualDub and this video guide:
    http://youtu.be/2MWoVY9mYbk
    Quote Quote  
  3. Any NLE will do.
    Free one: AviUtl (for Windows), and a few others available on Linux platform

Transition/Scene change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKqYOns7GCE
    Text overlay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwpKhBvvLQ

If you are uploading to youtube, I think the youtube editor already has similar function (overlaying text/last minute info) and it does that in a non-destructive way
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thank you so much for that info. i'm using mp4 video files. i'll check out both of these options that you guys suggested and see which is easier to use. leesa
    Last edited by leesa; 23rd Jul 2014 at 05:41.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    oh my god, trying to get the mp4 into virtual dub was a nightmare. i read alot of posts and checked out youtube videos but that's way too complicated for me. do you guys know the best program i can pay for which will do what i want? if i had an apple, i'd get final cut pro 10 but i don't. i have windows xp and my video camera spits out mp4 files.
    thank you so much for any replies in advance.
    leesa
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use XP......but I do know what you mean. It's not XP's fault though. MP4 is a "container" that can......contain....a myriad of video and audio codecs. Some softwares recognize more of these codecs than others. Welcome to the world of modern video. I still grab my old Canon portable camera for video instead of my iPhone if I need the video in minutes instead of hours.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by leesa View Post
    if i had an apple, i'd get final cut pro 10 but i don't. i have windows xp
    FCPX isn't free though ($300.) If you're willing to spend a few dollars, you might want to look into an older version of Vegas Movie Studio. (<$50) If this is a one time thing, you can probably finish during the free trial period.
    Last edited by smrpix; 23rd Jul 2014 at 09:00.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!