VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Currently I am using the job queue in Virtualdub to upscale a set of 4:3 videos to 1080p 16:9 video using bicubic or lanzcos scaling. Some videos are scaled ignoring the aspect ratio, others are scaled and cropped to match 16:9 (the cropping rectangle is not center aligned). The video is compressed using x264vfw.

This pipeline works well, but compression is slow with x264 (between 5 to max. 9 fps). When I use no compression the fps is a magnitude higher. Conversion with other tools which support the Mainconcept h264 codec produce rates around 40fps but these tools do not support scaling (cropping).

Is there a similar codec like the x264 working with Virtualdub with similar output filesizes and quality but better performance? Or can you recommend a software which supports direct show filters, like Mainconcept's h264 codec, and can perform the scaling/cropping as described above on a batch of files?

Regards,
    Quote Quote  
  2. CPU, GPU, hard drives, RAM, bus speed; source file type, raster and codec; other processes and encoder settings all contribute to encoding speed. Where exactly are you starting from?
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a 100 fold difference between the fastest and slowest x264 settings. Depending on what settings you're currently using you may be able to use faster settings without significant loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. These are my current settings:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	x264settings.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	26533
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Really, does it take an Einstein to figure out that
    Preset: Veryslow
    just might be part of the problem here?
    Quote Quote  
  6. After posting the picture I saw this setting as well .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try the veryfast preset and see what you think.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What is wrong with ffmpeg?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!