VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I think I might have made a mistake by buying this microphone "UltraDisk 4092 Wireless Headset Microphone SKIN / BLACK SENNHEISER XLR TA3F TA4F"

The shape fits perfectly my need, to have clear accurate microphone as close as possible to the subject, and there is no problem that it is visible on camera.

However I was planning to use it with my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, and this is where I found out that my phone expects an TRRS jack, whereas the mic that I've bought has a TS jack.

I've been desperately trying to find a converter but I can't really find one.

I still have the handsfree headset that comes with the phone that has the TRRS jack, but I do not think I could somehow link the two?

Do you think there is a way to use this microphone?

Many thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mic.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	26529  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A quick search of "adapter TS TRRS" gave me a ton of hits.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There shouldn't be any issue finding an adapter for this, you can even make one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jimmyy, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  5. FWIW, we use a very similar headset microphone (Galaxy Audio HS3) at work and at church. They are designed to be used with a Sennheiser wireless beltpack receiver. They are so comfortable and lightweight that the speaker oftentimes forgets he is wearing the mic. One time after a guest speaker left the stage, he handed his handheld mic to the speaker (who was wearing a headset). The speaker continued his presentation speaking into the handheld mic. I was running sound and had the handheld turned off because he was hearing the headset.

Anyways, I will be curious if a TS > TRRS adapter will work for you. Please post back your experience with this if you go that route.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  6. Apparently TRRS connectors can be wired one of two ways. According to this site, you need an iphone compatible adaptor. https://www.kvconnection.com/Articles.asp?ID=165
    There's different adaptors for different types of mics and/or mics with batteries etc.

According to this page, you may need a third party application for decent recordings. http://www.wildmountainechoes.com/equipment/comparing-recording-smartphone-dedicated-recorder/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    A quick search of "adapter TS TRRS" gave me a ton of hits.
    I've been searching for the last 48h, and I couldn't find a TS TRRS adapter.

I learned that an adapter for smartphone is a bit tricky because apple uses a different way of mapping the TRRS connection than other smartphones.

Can you please post a link?
    It's also true that I'm living in Europe, but regardless as soon as I find the right model I believe that I can have it shipped even from the US.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    jimmyy, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    You are right, I apologize for that. Thank you for editing it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    There shouldn't be any issue finding an adapter for this, you can even make one.
    In my search I did come across that website, but there are two parts that blocked me from going further:
    1) I believe that the microphones they are presenting there are TRS(two rings) and they are building a converter to TRRS, whereas mine is TS (one black ring).
    2) I do not understand how could I build it myself, since even if I cut the wires(which I'm ready to do), I would need to somehow glue the cut wires to one of the jacks, and then this type of manual gluing on the jack to my mind is highly unstable, hence it can break in the middle of the recording.

Or is it easier than that?

I only need the mic, I do not care about the headphones.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jimmyy View Post
    2) I do not understand how could I build it myself, since even if I cut the wires(which I'm ready to do), I would need to somehow glue the cut wires to one of the jacks, and then this type of manual gluing on the jack to my mind is highly unstable, hence it can break in the middle of the recording.
    Most folks would use solder -- maybe you should stay clear of the dyi for now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Probably best you just buy one. From hello_hello's post and the info from the site I linked to this adapter should work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Probably best you just buy one. From hello_hello's post and the info from the site I linked to this adapter should work for you.
    Thank you nic2k4
    Would this one work as well?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048151-REG/rode_sc4_trs_to_trrs_adaptor.html

They say it's an TRS to TRRS adapter, but mine is TS right? therefore this adapter , the Rode SC4 won't work right?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

Are there many differences between TS and TRS?
    I found a good price for the RODE SC 4 but I don't know whether it will work with my mic and searching for TS to TRRS adapters I can't find anything
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jimmyy View Post
    Probably best you just buy one. From hello_hello's post and the info from the site I linked to this adapter should work for you.
    Thank you nic2k4
    Would this one work as well?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048151-REG/rode_sc4_trs_to_trrs_adaptor.html

They say it's an TRS to TRRS adapter, but mine is TS right? therefore this adapter , the Rode SC4 won't work right?

Many thanks
    No and if you read the description of the adapter from KVconnection it adds some electronic componants (probably resistor and/or diode) to match the mic with your Galaxy S3.

To answer your other question and in case you don't know TRRS=Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, TS=Tip-Sleeve; so the difference between TRS and TS is an extra ring. When matching the different types of connector you have to remember that wires get connected to each position and unless someone specifically connected the contacts to match your application you will not get the results you expect.

A quick search on ebay gave this adapter the description seems to match your needs, but the mention of stereo mic might be a problem. You could get in touch with them and clarify. Monoprice also has something available, but there's no mention of the mic power requirement (probably won't work). In any case, the difference in price is not that much...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Another option would be to buy one standalone voice recorder where I could plug this microphone into.

I've been doing some research, but it's not easy to understand which type of microphone jack the voice recorders accetp (TS, TRS or TRRS).

One example is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-722PC-Voice-Recorders-Built-In-Memory/dp/B00HFW1E1A/r...dp_ob_title_hi

the last option would be to try to solder them myself, I've used a soldering iron before, and I can easily buy one and solder them, how difficult would it be?, rather than search the internet high and low...

Many thanks for your continued support, eventually I'll make it work
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!