VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recovered some deleted pictures and videos but they are not showing up properly. I made sure to unplug the drive right away and nothing was written to it after.

Some of the pictures when I open them are 1/100 of the original size and some videos do not work. Ideas? Should I try a different recovery program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you do not even state what you used to attempt the recovery. Most undelete programs claim more than they actually deliver.

I have used ZAR - ZeroAssumptionRecovery - with perfect results. GetDataBack also gets good write-ups here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is an area rife with fraud.
    I use the free Minitool Power Data Recovery
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was just using a random one, stellar pheonix photo recovery, I will try the ones listed here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Most undelete programs claim more than they actually deliver."

That's definitely an understatement. Even with good file recovery programs it may scramble chunks into a somewhat random mishmash because it can tell it's video or whatever but has lost the ordering.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only files you can easily recover are those that were unfragmented before the delete or format. That is because the information left on the drive after a delete is the size of the file and a pointer to the first cluster. The pointers to the rest of the file are gone. Undelete programs just assume the file was contiguous (unless succeeding clusters are in use by other files, in which case those clusters are skipped over).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well the pictures recovered but I haven't had time to see if they are the same result or not. I did notice that each picture is recovered twice so I have 2 copies of each one. Why is this? I noticed this in the other program I was using.

Also, i noticed the programs tend to recover everything that was ever on the card. Anyway to limit this to say the past year?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ZAR, well in the version I used, displays the files it can recover.

You can then select (check-box) those that you want and ignore the rest.

If you already have a file on your HDD (possibly the previous 'recovered' one) with that name, the recovery program will create another with the same name but as filename(1).xtn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recovery can be affected by the actual fault of the HDD. Depending on the actual drive fault, the FAT may no longer correspond to the actual data. In which case, the recovery software will merely pack random bits of data into a "file" resulting in a "file" that is unusable.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ZAR, well in the version I used, displays the files it can recover.

You can then select (check-box) those that you want and ignore the rest.

If you already have a file on your HDD (possibly the previous 'recovered' one) with that name, the recovery program will create another with the same name but as filename(1).xtn.
    Not exactly the best idea to select them one by one when they are 100s or 1000s of pictures.

This wasn't a case of already having the previously recovered files because the file names were not file and file (1), but they were named pic 191,192. I also recovered in a different folder so to avoid the issue of having duplicates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Show where I ACTUALLY stated to recover 'One by One' and I will stand back.

Not exactly the best idea to twist the words of those that assist. You originally said 'Drive'. You later say 'Card'. What exactly are you trying to recover from.

If it is a card then files do tend to have un-helpful filenames. In that scenario it is better to recover all and then ditch those you do not want.

There may be date filters available but I used the program to recover a 'dead' HDD. Then you want everything even though you could select/de-select some files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In MOST recovery scenarios, it's best to recover ALL (that can be) and then review & sift for the keepers - one by one. Yes it's long and painstaking, but the alternative is missing/ losing some.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!