VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I've been wanting to change the language for my subtitles for the longest.
    I've been searching all over for clear answers but I cannot find anything at all

I use mkvextract to extract the subs. The .ass file which is made comes in ENGLISH, which I wish
    to change to SPANISH, I have tried translating the whole. ASS file but it doesn't work.

Is there a simple way?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Cevadar View Post
    I've been searching all over for clear answers but I cannot find anything at all
    Maybe because you don't post clear questions?
    I have tried translating the whole. ASS file but it doesn't work.
    Translate it using something like Google translate? Of course it doesn't work. You could always open it in Notepad or Aegisub and translate it line-by-line. Or maybe search the subtitle sites for it already in your language.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install subtitle edit and load the sub file and choose auto-translate(powered by google) and select spanish as your language to translate to and then click on the translate button.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did the reverse! Spanish sub to English. My DVD of the old movie Dr Cyclops ( in English ) only had Spanish subs on it. Did the usual search to see if any existed = nada..... So I used the method outlined by Johns0 and it worked very well. I had to do a few word edits and I had the advantage of hearing it in English. I do understand a little Spanish so that was a help.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check to see if your Dr Cyclops dvd had closed captions in English?My supernatural season 1 only had french,spanish,chinese and portugal subs but i used handbrake to encode to mkv and added the cc as subs since they were in english.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Install subtitle edit and load the sub file and choose auto-translate(powered by google) and select spanish as your language to translate to and then click on the translate button.
    That's good to know. Thanks for the correction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Did you check to see if your Dr Cyclops dvd had closed captions in English?My supernatural season 1 only had french,spanish,chinese and portugal subs but i used handbrake to encode to mkv and added the cc as subs since they were in english.
    No cc on my disc, I did check anyway but it was a good exercise and I think my English translation was spot on.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Thanks a lot! that worked.
    The only problem is some spanish letters tend to show up weird. For example when shown on virtualdub
    they have %marks next to the lettter. etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dump
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the first thing I'd do is check subtitle sites like opensubtitles.org or subscene. Those translation programs don't really work all that well ... though you may find those subs have just been run through a translator program too.

Once I tried to watch a French movie whose only available english subs were actually Polish subs someone had run through Google translate or something like that. They were so bad I could tell they were originally Polish, which I don't understand at all really. It would have been easier to just listen to it and try to understand the French dialogue, and my French isn't so good either.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cevadar View Post
    dump
    You're not supposed to do this the same day. And please note that on weekends and US holidays (most of our members are American) that responses are lower.

Anyway, English versions of Windows are a bit notorious for the lack of support for foreign accent marks, even in languages based on Latin like Spanish. I'm guessing that's what's going on. It should be easy to open your subtitles file in a text editor like Word or WordPad and change all the occurrences at once. Use the Character Map under Accessories -> System Tools to copy the correct letter with the accent mark you need.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!