VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there all,

First of all, I know virtualdub can be rigged to do this, but I'm trying to avoid downloading loads of codec's and 3rd part tools and players.

What I'm after is a tool that will open a wide range of video formats, mp4, wmv, avi, mpg and maybe rm, but I'm not so fussed about that. But like virtualdub you have the ability to scrub back and forth through the video and even single step frame by frame back and forth, and the ability to capture frame/s from the video.

I know it's a big ask, and the answer may well be, no can do.

But I'm just after a lightweight simple application unlike Adobe Premiere or After Effects.

Big thanks in advance. Any advise would be gladly received.

Quote Quote  
  2. Not as lightweight as vdub (because they include the decoders, libraries, splitters, codecs), but try avidemux, aviutl
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks buddy. avidemux seem like just the thing I've been looking for.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    xvid4psp may be a good option too , i like it a lot
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Smartel. Another cool looking application to add to my arsenal. Thanks for the tip
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second avidemux. It's very good at being able to read a lot of formats/codecs. Myself the only thing I can remember it choking on was .wmv files with the old microsoft VC-1 codec. I've also had trouble reading 24 bit audio but I just opened the video file with audacity and converted the audio stream and then just selected external audio file in avidemux. I can't remember anything else it wouldn't read.

And it does all that with it's own codec libraries.

The only thing I know of that's better at reading a ton of formats is mencoder, but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to use it in CLI mode, and I don't know of any good mencoder GUIs for windows. Or for linux for that matter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'll check it out. Always willing to try anything at lease once Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A decent media player should do what you need. MPC-HC has a Navigate/GoTo menu where you can specify navigating to a particular frame/time, and the Ctrl key along with the left/right arrows on your keyboard let you navigate back and forward one frame at a time etc. It has a "File/Save Image" menu.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I never spotted that. Big thanks dude.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Potplayer and it plays everything I have as well as sophisticated capture options and frame by frame forward or backward (F & D keys). It also has capabilities like playing videos that are already open without the '... already open in...' message. It will also play most incomplete videos if the minimal header information is included in the files.

Capture options:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_79 Jul. 27 17.08.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	26616
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi Budman1. I've just installed the Potplayer. This looks like a really cool media player, as well as doing everything I needed. Big thanks dude.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!