VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, everybody!

Yesterday the video playback rate increased about 10-15% for most of the videos that I have for an unknown reason. I don't recall changing any graphic settings / codec settings.

I have tried different players and the result is the same. Most videos are faster now. But not all. Some videos play as before, maybe with a very slight speed boost. The first thought that I had is that it is a problem with codecs, and I updated / reinstalled my k lite codec pack. It did not help. Then I thought it might be a problem with playback only, and I converted and rendered a portion of one of the videos in Vegas and uploaded it onto YouTube, but the result was the same. Flash player played it fast as well.

I have also noticed that some videos play faster than others. While some videos got a minimal increase in playback, others got as much as 20% increase in speed.

The strangest thing to me, is that when I time the playback, a 60 second video plays back in exactly 60 seconds, even though the video looks faster. Dropped frames on both video and audio?

I have pasted the MediaInfo data of one type of video that plays especially fast: http://pastebin.com/6MTbqXVW

And I have pasted here the log file from K Lite codec tweak tool: http://pastebin.com/AAxYb9ir

My notebook specs: Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3 GHz, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM), 750GB SATA 7200 RPM HDD

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Zweig; 18th Jul 2014 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Delete K-Crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Delete K-Crap.
    I tried that too. Then opened the file with VLC, and it is still playing fast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, a case of faulty hardware
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed. There's a reason why it's called K_Crap.

Can't say what's happening, as you didn't mention any specific "player". One thing I see wrong with your video specs is that progressive BluRay at 50fps is not BluRay compliant. The requirements for encoding regulation BluRay are shown here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533 .
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all replies!

What kind of hardware failure do you think it is?

The players I used are MPC-HC and VLC. Not only BluRay files are faster, all AVC encoded files have noticable speed boost.

What would you recommend to replace K-Lite?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Zweig View Post
    The strangest thing to me, is that when I time the playback, a 60 second video plays back in exactly 60 seconds, even though the video looks faster. Dropped frames on both video and audio?
    That's not possible unless you end up looking at a still frame for 20 percent of the time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zweig View Post
    Thanks for all replies!

What kind of hardware failure do you think it is?

The players I used are MPC-HC and VLC. Not only BluRay files are faster, all AVC encoded files have noticable speed boost.

What would you recommend to replace K-Lite?
    The two players you mention come with their own codecs. It's known that installing K-Crap screws up registry settings and generally interferes with everything. Get rid of it, then reinstall your players if necessary. If you need a bunch of codecs for something else, try ffdshow.

Where did you get 1920x1080 videos at 50p?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's not possible unless you end up looking at a still frame for 20 percent of the time.
    Well, that's what it is. That's why it's very strange. What if every 10th frame is dropped? That adds 10% playback boost, and possibly hard to notice glitch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Where did you get 1920x1080 videos at 50p?
    That one comes from a SONY HDR-PJ330 I believe. It is my friend's camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Zweig View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Well, that's what it is. That's why it's very strange. What if every 10th frame is dropped? That adds 10% playback boost, and possibly hard to notice glitch.
    And the video would either jerk 5 times a second (as one frame is duplicated on the display) or it would end 10 percent earlier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I viewed the video frame by frame in Vegas, and all the frames are there, but they all play faster...

Anyways, I noticed that the fastest clips are those with AVC encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a very ordinary time-tested sony camera (except for the goofy projector thing.) The problem almost certainly lies in how you are playing this back.

Can you post a short, original sample clip so others can try?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correction, that's a Panasonic V700. I will post a short clip shortly
    Quote Quote