VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi there. I recently bought the climax digital cable and software to capture my VHS tapes.
    The problem is is that everytime I use S-VIDEO rather than COMPOSITE. just black and white is appearing and NOT colour.
    Is it because I'm using an OLD VHS. Would a new or recent VHS recorder make give out COLOUR S-VIDEO so I could capture my VHS tapes with my ClimaxDigital cable and software in COLOUR S-VIDEO?
    Please help.
    Regards,
    Richard Steed
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any chance your VHS tapes are actually NTSC format? Trying to capture NTSC VHS in PAL countries is often problematic because many PAL VCRs actually output the video as PAL-60 and VERY FEW capture devices can correctly capture PAL-60 signals. If you are sure that these are PAL tapes than try using Composite as maybe there is something weird or broken with your capture device (never heard of it, which is bad for you because that means it's probably cheap junk) with regards to S-Video capture or your VCR is outputting a weird signal over S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Probably right about NTSC vs PAL.
    Probably right about the Climax unit, too. Sells for less than £16, including software. No surprises.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why ask here since no one has ever heard of that capture device? Why not email their tech support since you bought it from them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if the OP has colour over composite then it is hardly a ntsc/PAL60 issue.

I would guess he is using a VCR/DVD combi that has a s-video output. Many of these only support output over s-video for dvd. But, equally, the capture device, or even the cable, could be faulty.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Possible. If only the "y" wire is working in the s-video cable and the other wire or connection pin is dead, you get monochrome.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's got nothing to do with the PAL/NTSC becasue I've just tried videos in both formats and it's still coming out in BLACK AND WHITE S-VIDEO.
    The thing is, let me point out that I'm using SCART and converting SCART to S-VIDEO.,
    Is it because the SCART is old or the VHS is old?
    Would new VHS 's have SCART that would support s video in COLOUR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    S-video has a luma signal and a chroma signal.

Either the source isn't outputting the chroma signal, it's getting lost on the way, or the capture device isn't picking up the chroma signal.

Check each of these in turn:

Is your VCR an S-VHS machine? If not, it won't have an S-video output. End of story. Get an S-VHS VCR or use composite.

Have you gone into the menus of your VCR and enabled S-video over SCART? If not, it will be sending composite on S-video luma (it's the same SCART pin), and nothing on S-video chroma. The result (if you captured S-video "properly") would be a noisy black and white picture, especially noise in areas of the picture with saturated colours.

Is your adapter cable working? Probably, if it has SCART at one end, S-video at the other, and is giving you at least black and white. Check the SCART plug is pushed in properly anyway.

Is your capture device set to capture S-video? If it's set to capture composite, but receives S-video, you'll get a perfect black and white picture.

Hope this helps.

David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by R.STEED View Post
    It's got nothing to do with the PAL/NTSC becasue I've just tried videos in both formats and it's still coming out in BLACK AND WHITE S-VIDEO.
    The thing is, let me point out that I'm using SCART and converting SCART to S-VIDEO.,
    Is it because the SCART is old or the VHS is old?
    Would new VHS 's have SCART that would support s video in COLOUR?
    It all depends on how the VCR is wired.
    If the female connector connected to the board in the VCR does not have ALL of these connections:
    http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Scart-Cable-Connection-Diagram.gif
    ....then you may not get S-Video OUT no matter what cable you buy/use.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    S-video has a luma signal and a chroma signal.

Either the source isn't outputting the chroma signal, it's getting lost on the way, or the capture device isn't picking up the chroma signal.

Check each of these in turn:

Is your VCR an S-VHS machine? If not, it won't have an S-video output. End of story. Get an S-VHS VCR or use composite.

Have you gone into the menus of your VCR and enabled S-video over SCART? If not, it will be sending composite on S-video luma (it's the same SCART pin), and nothing on S-video chroma. The result (if you captured S-video "properly") would be a noisy black and white picture, especially noise in areas of the picture with saturated colours.

Is your adapter cable working? Probably, if it has SCART at one end, S-video at the other, and is giving you at least black and white. Check the SCART plug is pushed in properly anyway.

Is your capture device set to capture S-video? If it's set to capture composite, but receives S-video, you'll get a perfect black and white picture.

Hope this helps.

David.
    How many times do I have to keep on saying. I don't have an S-VIDEO connection on my VHS. I have SCART but have an adaptor that has S- VIDEO ON THERE.
    And YES, I have selected S-VIDEO on my climax Digital program.
    I dont think my VHS recorder is S VHS. Its an OLD 1996 model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had you given a modicum of the facts you now state, we would not have to double-guess.

Read the above replies, especially from David.

Your VHS does NOT support s-video.

You simply can not use an adapter to convert composite (scart) to s-video.

Only S-VHS natively have s-video connectors. Also combis but as I already stated they do not allow for VHS output
    Quote Quote  
  12. Does the SCART in these S-VHS's support S-VIDEO?
    I mean if this CLimaxDigital equipment I'm using has a SCART adaptor with an S-VIDEO socket in it,surely this SCART adaptor that has this composite AND S Video sockets will carry COLOUR S VIDEO.
    Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Surely SCART must carry COLOUR S-VIDEO with some VHS's. Do you think it would work with S-VHS units?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you had a S-VHS machine then it should have a direct s-video connector on it. Then you would not have to rely on an adapter.

But just use composite. Many people get good results. The type of signal is only part of the overall issue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I dont want to use composite. I want to use S VIDEO like I stated.
    That is what the topic is about. I want to capture video in COLOUR S-VIDEO from VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then change your VCR. Simple.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Again. I want to know if S-VHS supports S-VIDEO via SCART.
    Please answer the question.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Then change your VCR. Simple.
    Which VCR's do I need to look for that support colour s video VIA cSCART?
    I have an old 1996 model.
    Which models should i look out for?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Do you think this model that DOESN'T have an S VIDEO socket supports COLOUR S VIDEO via SCART?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-RDXV60-DVD-HDD-Recorder/dp/B003LO2RKI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How many more times must one state this.

You need a S-VHS vcr. If it is S-VHS it will say so on the box.

As for that Toshiba, maybe someone has the unit and can advise. I had a similar model once, before it died on me and that only supported s-video from the HDD or the dvd. Same as any standard combi.

Of course you should be able to dub from the vcr part to the HDD and then transfer over s-video. Directly, I doubt it.

Search out for the user manual.
    Last edited by DB83; 18th Jul 2014 at 06:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xs-vhs&_nk...at=0&_from=R40

You will not find a new vcr these days so you must take your chances with a s/h model. Many listed on the above page either S-VHS or Super-VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by R.STEED View Post
    Does the SCART in these S-VHS's support S-VIDEO?
    I mean if this CLimaxDigital equipment I'm using has a SCART adaptor with an S-VIDEO socket in it,surely this SCART adaptor that has this composite AND S Video sockets will carry COLOUR S VIDEO.
    Please help.
    Already answered here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365939-How-do-I-capture-my-VHS-in-COLOUR-S-VIDEO?p=...=1#post2334817

In other words you will never know unless you try it or....tear the unit apart....and even then I doubt you can see all of the soldered connections. Forget the SCART/S-Video adapter thing and get a real S-VHS machine and use a real S-Video cable.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes. Good idea mate.
    I like the look of that Panasonic S VHS one.
    The thing is, when I get an idea in my head i get obsessed with it and can't get it out of my head.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are entitled to your 'idea'

Over the years, I have captured more VHS than I have had hot dinners. I have NEVER used s-video. Not ever.

You should be more concerned with the compression quality of your captured video. Can that device do lossless ?. If it only does mpeg2 then s-video will hardly help you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If you had a S-VHS machine then it should have a direct s-video connector on it.
    Some of the last UK/European S-VHS machines did not have 4-pin S-video outputs, only S-video via SCART. Of course they are still very clearly S-VHS machines.

Some European VCRs, and many European TVs (from the (S-)VHS era) have either physical hardware switches or menu options to switch one of their SCART sockets between regular (composite/RGB) and S-video mode. This is usually in addition to the "normal" 4-pin S-video connectors, but on some late models it is instead of them.

You can get cables with SCART at one end, and S-video at the other, which simply wire the correct pins together. I use one of these very often. It only works with an S-video source . You can also get cables which claim to convert to/from S-video even when the other device is composite, and these of course are complete junk.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks David. Thats really solved my problem. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Panasonic I'm selling on eBay at the moment outputs S-Video via scart and S-Video socket.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
    The Panasonic I'm selling on eBay at the moment outputs S-Video via scart and S-Video socket.
    I've just bought the same model on e-bay from 'Venturetrading' and the player is FAULTY.

No matter what settings i choose ,the vhs will not play. Only the menu comes up but no video will play
    Both VHS formats will not play.
    I now have bought a FAULTY Panasonic S VHS player on e bay.
    ******* bastards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if it claimed to be working then just tell them and claim your money back.

Or start a claim process through Ebay if you get no satisfaction.

Just a thought.

Are you sure it is not working ?

VCRs when powered down often reset to start-up menu. You have to go through the settings to get it working.
    Last edited by DB83; 25th Jul 2014 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
  30. WHta shall i do next? Do you think I need an antenna to get the SCART or S VIDEO working?
    I can only hear the audio when i select the MENU.
    Its reallt wierd.
    I've even tried using a HEAD cleaner tape.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!