VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have what may be a stupid question but I need to ask it.

My computers hard drive was filled with videos however it accidentally got formatted, Long story short I managed to use some recovery software to get most of them back.

Now my question is this, During the recovery process is it in anyway possible that segments of each video could have joined together, ie part of one video has merged its way into another?

I ask as alot of it is old VHS stuff that I want to put onto a DVD but I would hate if the above had somehow happened, The thought of having to check each file would drive me crazy

Thanks
    Craig
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by _Craig_ View Post
    Now my question is this, During the recovery process is it in anyway possible that segments of each video could have joined together, ie part of one video has merged its way into another?
    Yes, it's very common when unformatting or undeleting files. The software can't know where every part of the file was, it just makes a best guess.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, it's very common when unformatting or undeleting files. The software can't know where every part of the file was, it just makes a best guess.
    Ok, That's disappointing but not surprising so I will need to check each file

Is it feesable to use some media playback software on my PC to play each file in fast forward mode to spot any merged video, Is it likely I would notice it doing this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. You will have to view each clip manually, in real-time. There are tools that correct structural problems in video files, but none that flag those spots for your perusal. Plus, many clips may have structural problems that have nothing to do with your current predicament.

Got to bite the bullet and take ALL your medicine.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Many players can handle 2x and 4x playback smoothly (VLC for example) depending on codec, frame size, and frame rate. You can usually spot problems at those speeds. For AVI files you can use VirtualDub. Press Shift+RightArrow to skip to successive key frames. If parts of the video are from the wrong file you will see corrupt frames when an index points to those sections.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the reply's, These are .mpg files.

At the rate of watching them all it would almost be better re-converting them.

As they are from old VHS tapes all of them have a resolution of 720 x 576

Would it be possible to at least tell if there is mismatched frames of say modern day HD footage merged in?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can probably find a tool that will scan MPG files for errors. Any foreign material will cause an error.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/306620-How-to-test-MPG-files-for-errors?p=1886492&v...=1#post1886492
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can probably find a tool that will scan MPG files for errors. Any foreign material will cause an error.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/306620-How-to-test-MPG-files-for-errors?p=1886492&v...=1#post1886492
    Thank you, I just tested it on a few of my videos and there was no error so hopefully its correct,

It lists "Resolution 720 x 576 (full D1)", I assume it would have a second resolution listed if there were for example any modern day HD footage mixed in.

I dont mind if some old footage is mixed together as they will all be going on DVD's together but I cant have any new stuff
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by _Craig_ View Post
    It lists "Resolution 720 x 576 (full D1)", I assume it would have a second resolution listed if there were for example any modern day HD footage mixed in.
    I doubt it. I suspect it will just report some corruption error.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by _Craig_ View Post
    I doubt it. I suspect it will just report some corruption error.
    Ah ok, I am assuming its ok as at the start of the log it always states

Found 1 video stream.
    Found 1 MPEG audio stream

The only errors I have came across so far are:

ALERT> Cannot find System Header, disabled checking.
    ALERT> No audio frame (mpa) found. ("WHAT ??")
    ALERT> Cannot sync. Not enough data.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!