VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys.

Just wondering other than wifi signals etc, do microwaves cause enough interference with electronic devices to cause damage to circuitry or any parts of a device? ie tv's and players of all kinds.

Thanks
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've learned to NEVER place your cell phone near your VCR when capturing from said VCR....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I've learned to NEVER place your cell phone near your VCR when capturing from said VCR....
    lol indeed but as your one of our more knowledgable members, a decent answer that doesnt come from your backside would be good
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    hech54 doesn't suffer fools and he's corrected me out of my ignorance more times than I'd care to admit to, but I actually thought his answer was pretty good although perhaps not exactly what you are looking for.

To be honest with you, the question just strikes me as more of the bs we got from gamemaniaco and fits79 where people give a serious answer to a question that might be serious or might not and then the original poster follows it up with an endless series of questions "But what if...", "But how about..." and ignoring previous answers and re-asking the same question. So if this is all some kind of game, I'd prefer not to play. To answer you - hell no, microwaves don't damage electronics and that's as good an answer as the question is going to get. Well, I've always had a wall between mine and any TVs and I've never had a problem. But if you do something like put one within a few feet of your electronics with only open air between them then I can't offer you any personal experience there. If you're really and truly concerned about this you can just live without a microwave you know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That sort of was my answer. Interference?....possibly. Actual "damage"?....highly doubtful.
    Of course you ARE talking to a person who is running a LAN cable down the hallway to my router because for the life of me I cannot figure out why only my computer is the only one in the house that has wireless connection troubles(via various methods/hardware devices). Is it the giant electrical panel/box between my computer and the router? Possibly. Can I prove it? Nope.

I'm also the guy who sits with his nose to the door of the microwave impatiently waiting that 30 seconds for his hot dog to cook.....hasn't effected me none none none none none none.
    Come to think of it that same impatience probably made me run that LAN cable...."Fvck it, I ain't got time for this!!!"

Quote Quote  
  6. Just something i thought about and didnt have knowledge on. Its not a mold spore epidemic thing we all had to sit through in the past, just a straight question.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Makes sense, cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm also the guy who sits with his nose to the door of the microwave impatiently waiting that 30 seconds for his hot dog to cook.....
    Eww, who cooks hot dogs in the microwave?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You do realize that most all PCs operate in the microwave range. A average microwave oven runs at about 2.4Ghz. Most newer PCs run well above that frequency. But any electronic device with proper shielding (Required by law in most countries.) is safe to be around.

If the shielding is damaged, then that's different. But still, consumer microwave energy is unlikely to cause interference, let alone damage. Very high power microwave frequency radars can cause interference if you are within the beam, something I don't recommend.

Name:  b13474m.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  31.6 KB
    Last edited by redwudz; 17th Jul 2014 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I'm also the guy who sits with his nose to the door of the microwave impatiently waiting that 30 seconds for his hot dog to cook.....
    Yep, I have to go with you on that against hech!!
    LOL!!

Boil or better yet, on the grill!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    ...the question just strikes me as more of the bs we got from gamemaniaco and fits79 where people give a serious answer to a question that might be serious or might not and then the original poster follows it up with an endless series of questions "But what if...", "But how about..." and ignoring previous answers and re-asking the same question.
    The revelation that spy agencies try to manipulate forums make me wonder about those guys too. Not saying they're spies, but it wouldn't take much for corporations to adopt the same tactics. Or, they're just trolls. At any rate trolls should not be tolerated, they're bad for a forum's health.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yep, I have to go with you on that against hech!!
    LOL!!

Boil or better yet, on the grill!!!
    I nuke them too, saves on cleaning dishes if you use a paper towel.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Me, although they are sliced, not whole.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hot dogs, cold dogs, doesn't matter, to me they all are the same thing ^.^;
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	salsicha.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	26484  

Quote Quote  
  15. Hot Dog, Jumpin' Frog, Albuquerque
    Quote Quote  
  16. Any energy can damage electronic devices - microwave energy for sure can destroy other circuit especially when circuit is powered unless circuit is protected - usually special equipment for usage in difficult environment like military etc are designed in a way to prevent such situation - need more screening and shielding plus more filters.
    Quote Quote  
  17. My wireless router's been sitting on top of the microwave oven for a couple of years. The microwave doesn't get used a lot (a few minutes, 2 or 3 times a day) so when it's running I just deal with the wireless g speed dropping to almost nothing.

There's also a cordess phone/base station sitting on the microwave. It's plugged into the router (voip). It doesn't seem to be too fussed about the microwave. I think the phone operates on a different frequency range. I can't remember exactly.....

Anyway..... a couple of years with the phone and router living on the microwave and everything still works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    My wireless router's been sitting on top of the microwave oven for a couple of years. The microwave doesn't get used a lot (a few minutes, 2 or 3 times a day) so when it's running I just deal with the wireless g speed dropping to almost nothing.

There's also a cordess phone/base station sitting on the microwave. It's plugged into the router (voip). It doesn't seem to be too fussed about the microwave. I think the phone operates on a different frequency range. I can't remember exactly.....

Anyway..... a couple of years with the phone and router living on the microwave and everything still works.
    Even if phone operate at different frequency it still can affect performance for other RF device as usually consumer devices are not protected against unwanted energy (high power) - for example in WLAN device you have two signal paths, Tx and Rx, Rx have sensitive input (wideband Low Noise Amplifier) which is sensitive to any energy, usually filter (bandpass) precede such LNA however filters are not perfect and good filters are expensive - so even small amount energy from different frequency that leak trough filter can saturate LNA to pint where it is prevented to operate correctly. Microwave should be very well shielded if there is some leakage then this is not good from health point of view - good test is to place cell phone and close oven (nope, do not turn on MW) - if cellphone report "signal lost" then MW shielding is good, if not then MW should be replaced - MW operate at high power - usually 500 - 1200W where WLAN is not allowed to go over 100mW thus power difference is multiple 1000's .

I saw that RF on 400MHz with 20W output power was able to turn off horizontal deflection high voltage transistor - 1 meter from CRT - electric field concentration can be very high. It is recommended to provide some isolation and move devices away at least 1 - 2 meters.

for example it is very difficult to have 4 20MHz WLAN's active at the same time even if they use different channels where all 4 AP's are within 2 m range.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thanks for the info. The microwave's not all that old, but I'll try the phone in the microwave test tomorrow. Cell phone or cordless phone, does it matter? I'll try both.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Thanks for the info. The microwave's not all that old, but I'll try the phone in the microwave test tomorrow. Cell phone or cordless phone, does it matter? I'll try both.
    Should be ok (microwave oven should be like Faraday cage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage ) .
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!