VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

Quite new to converting, i rip with DVDfab and do a simple convert to avi with Handbrake. I did as usual and tonight put onto a memory card and into my projector. Two of the copies wouldnt play and stuttered the whole way through.

I Think i changed a setting, variable or constant framerate? Is there a way i can find out which it is?

I looked at the property the one difference between the working and non working files is one says 24FPS the other 25FPS. 24 seems to be the problem, could anyone advise?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by prezzacc View Post
    Hi All,

Quite new to converting, i rip with DVDfab and do a simple convert to avi with Handbrake. I did as usual and tonight put onto a memory card and into my projector. Two of the copies wouldnt play and stuttered the whole way through.

I Think i changed a setting, variable or constant framerate? Is there a way i can find out which it is?
    mediainfo (view=>text) will show some of the information

I looked at the property the one difference between the working and non working files is one says 24FPS the other 25FPS. 24 seems to be the problem, could anyone advise?
    Not without more information or a native (unprocessed) sample with motion from the DVD. Some DVD's have 24FPS (23.976) content, some have 25FPS content
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi PoisonDeathRay.

Ive got some more info on it now, and the only thing different seems to be

Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps

The Working File :

Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Ive never had issues before it must be me but i cant think what!

Thank you for replying.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Test the playback on a computer on a software media player - is it a problem isolated to your projector playback ? or handbrake conversion ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Its happened a few times again.

It will play absolutley fine on PC. When it goes into Projector it jitters like mad. I cant figure out why. I have done literraly hundreds and never had this, I have now had 3 problem ones out of 20 and its been since i have a new Laptop. Could it be a newer veriosn of handbrake? Its driving me Crazy, dont understand why its started happening and i havent changed what i do.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it plays fine on software player, then likely its something to do with the encoding settings or container

again , mediainfo(view=>text) will reveal the actual encoding settings used by x264, which is used by handbrake. Look for differences

Usually the culprit is VFR, which some devices do not handle very well, but that doesn't seem to be the case here unless you mixed up the files

where it says ReFrames 4 vs. 5 - note mediainfo doesn't report the actual reference frames, you need to look at the detailed encoding string use by x264 (in mediainfo)

Also check for audio differences with mediainfo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks again for your reply and help

So i need to literally find a working one and a non working one and compare everything?

I just dont understand how they can be different if i leave the handbrake settings the same, i pretty much just open it and hit start, i havent got into the settings much.

I will print out both and compare everything and see if anything makes any sense to me
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have to confess.

I think it was me! It made me think when you said about mixing up the files, i did! After some mediainfo research and comparisons , The NON working was the Variable. Changed to Constant and all seems ok so far!!

Thanks so much for your help, sorry it was a rookie error!!

I dont suppose you know....one other thing...on my projector when i fast forward these files, the go out of Sync so easily, is that something to do with the files or the projector would you say? If i keep fast forwaring rewinding etc EVENTUALLY it goes back to in time, but takes ages and isnt worth it!!

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know about sync issues with seeking. Unlikely that it's an issue with the file, more likely an issue with the projector. For example use a software player, or another device (e.g. ipad, wdtv etc...) and you can probably seek anywhere without issues.

It could be due to long keyframe intervals, but most devices that support h264/aac/mp4 (I'm assuming that's what you're using in handbrake) , won't have those sorts of problems. You can try reducing the max keyframe interval , that will help with seeking performance in general, but not necessarily with AV sync

What kind of projector? What model ?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!