VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using mdegrain3 with dfttest as a prefilter. I adjusted the settings according to what the video needs and it's perfect...except some minor details (such as lines) are faded just a tad.

I need a good script that protects my lines. This is for animation.

Any advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Testing...Testing
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is this thing on?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    No one here knows what your lines look like. Otherwise: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Line_Darkening .
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I re-read my post and realize I probably didn't make myself clear:

I need a script that MASKS my lines prior to filtering so that the lines will no be touched.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try an edge mask using masktools2 mt_edge. Or use one of the line darkeners , but in view mask mode to adjust the values, instead of applying the darkening and use that as your mask
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds cool PDR. I'll post a sample tonight. In the meantime, can you provide me with a sample script on a cartoon clip that you may have (for using the line darkeners as a mask)?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. It won't be that useful to learn from. The key to using masks is manipulating it so it works for your content. Otherwise you can look at any mask example it will show you the same thing . Basically areas in white for the mask are 100% affected. Areas in black are 100% unaffected. So you need a way to manipulate the mask either directly, or indirectly so your lines are near 100% black, and the rest of the content almost 100% white
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm understanding the idea. But can you show me a sample script reflecting this with comments?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Again, it won't be helpful. There isn't a generic solution that works everywhere. You already know how to use basic masks, overlay() or mt_merge(), correct ? If you don't remember, look at some of the many examples posted here and on other forums. The whole key to making masks work is the various manipulations you do to the mask itself (eg. feathering, expanding, blurring), or the footage before mask generation - to isolate whetever attribute you're trying to isolate. You have to view the mask and tweak the mask so it does a better job

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355371-frame-blending-caused-by-MDegrain

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355377-Interlacing-problem?p=2235692&viewfull=1#post2235692

So to generate a line mask, it's the same idea. Use mt_edge or one of the line darkener functions (many of them will have a show=true to visualize the mask)

The syntax for Overlay and mt_merge are the same. mt_merge is faster for processing, but overlay has more options and colorspace support

e.g.

orig=whateversource()

orig
    #your filters here , so "filtered" is the version of the video that has filters applied to, including the lines
    filtered = last

orig
    mt_edge (some values)
    #some manipulations, e.g. blur, expand , denoise, invert etc... in order to refine the mask. The mask will be mostly black for the lines, white for the areas to be filtered.
    #or use some line darkener functions in view mask mode
    mymask=last

#mt_merge(orig, filtered, mymask,true)
    #overlay(orig, filtered, mask=mymask)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your example was extremely helpful and provided a clearer idea of what you were talking about. This is what I was asking for. Why were you making this so complicated? I know I have to obviously tweak.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ok cheers.

I was making it "complicated" because you've already come across these types of mask scripts before. They're posted in your previous threads . The general approach is the same. It doesn't add anything new to what you already know.

The difficulty you're going to have is how to do those "manipulations" to refine the line mask
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It wasn't explained then the way it was now. At least to me anyway. I figured I'd let the previous discussion die down and then just start from scratch. Thanks though. Now c'mere and give your uncle scooby a kiss and hug.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!