VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm used to making subtitles with Aegisub, and then using AviDemux to render videos with those subtitles burned-in.

I have encountered a problem of subtitles with opaque box.

As you can see, the 1st image is what I see in Aegisub. Also when using a software player to playback video with this external subtitle, the result is the same, that is no problem .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aegisub.png
Views:	322
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	26415

Then when I load the subtitle into AviDemux, what I preview in AviDemux is the 2nd image. And the rendered video has the same problem.

Name:	AviDemux.png
Views:	330
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	26416

How can it be like that? Any suggestions? BTW, I do need transparent box, and have tried all the combinations of different parameter settings. The problem persists.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Am I missing something here ?

You say that the first image is 'no problem' yet the second image is a faithful representation of that with only a slight variation in colour and IS an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I believe the OP consider it a problem that the background is for the individual characters not the text as a whole? (But then again my mindreading skills has failed my so often - not that prevent me from using them )

And my only suggetion would be to use another encoder. Below from MediaCoder.

Name:	SubTxt.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	26424
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I didn't tell it clearly.

The problem is not the slight color variation. It's the vertical thin lines across the whole length of the subtitle.

I guess those lines are overlapping area of adjacent characters. But why some lines are darker while others are lighter? I use only opaque box, without shadows. And no matter how I change relevant settings, the problem persists. I need to have AviDemux render the final video with burned-in subtitle just like the 1st image.
    Last edited by compusic; 15th Jul 2014 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I guess that the issue is not avidemux but the program you use to make the subs or rather the way you are using it.

I can noit help you there but just looking at a demo screen you can get fully transparent subs and not a bordered graphic overlay.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The problem is that the characters aren't kerned correctly. There are small gaps in the opaque background between some characters. Try different fonts? Different subtitle renders? Most people use transparent backgrounds so they don't see this type of problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your replys.

The reason I need to have opaque box is that the origional video has hard subs, and I will burn a translated hard sub ( should be partially transparent so others can see through it) into the video.

Just tried MediaCoder, it does not have that problem, but OMG so many parameters. Then it should be the subtitle rendering part of AviDemux.

Thanks a lot to all of your.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!