VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone suggest apps, preferably free, to change the cold blue tint of highly compressed MKV video clips and make them warmer and perhaps make them slightly sharper while keeping them fairly small. They are 260 MB MKV video clips

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Tints could be handled by AviSynth: Merge(last, ColorYUV(autowhite=true)[, weight]) for simple autocorrection, or try to measure and tweak manually if you know how to (e.g. use Histogram).

But "make them slightly sharper while keeping them fairly small" is a hard task. Sharpening worsens the compressibility. And it doesn't recover lost details. To keep it reasonable, maybe try LimitedSharpenFaster. Any recompression will reduce the quality anyway, even if you increase the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for comments LigH.
    When i install it i can't find an exe file to start it.
    Where is its start file?
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Firewire60 View Post
    When i install it i can't find an exe file to start it.
    Where is its start file?
    Doesn't really have a start file, but the main working innards are in Windows/System32/avisynth.dll. To get it to run, start looking here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started .

Better yet, in your XP machine click START -> All Programs -> Avisynth 2.5 -> Avisynth Documentation. That'll get you to exactly the same page you'd see on the internet link.

I have to agree with LigH.de's post. If you start with highly compressed video, you're in for a quality loss on re-encoding. Trust us: if you alter color balance and/or sharpen and/or denoise a video, you have two choices (only). Either re-encode it, or archive it as a lossless decoded file.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!