VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here is a sample of what I mean.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/71547522/file.html (9mb)

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 to capture video and I have the component cable attached to the cable box. I'm 99% sure it's not the HD PVR. I think it's electromagnetic waves in my electric circuit or maybe in the coaxial cable line. Is there anything I can do to remove the static waves. These waves are almost unnoticeable during most shows but when the screen is a solid color like in the example they are very present in my mind. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SCREENS

Here are a few screens and I highlighted the wave as it moves up for those who don't want to download the sample.

Last edited by Anthony11085; 15th Jul 2014 at 00:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not sure what you're talking about. Your sample video has no visual defects at all. I don't see those red lines.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Those are not red lines, I used paint to highlight the wave in the images, in the video you can see an electromagnetic wave go from bottom to top.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Those look like low frequency hum bars due to poor signal grounding. When you say that you're pretty sure it doesn't come from the HD PVR, I guess you mean that you see this disturbance through your normal viewing on all channels through other TV inputs from your cable box, and not just through the PVR or its component pass-thru. Your TV must be set to Volcano Display Mode to see something that dark anyway.

To check your incoming cable for bad grounding or other noise, or to check the box itself, get with your cable provider. If they find no problems in your cable or your box, it's time to look around for a hookup to a power conditioning unit -- this often happens when your TV/audio stuff is plugged into power outlets shared with refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.. It can also be caused by cheap "surge protectors", which is what most people think they're getting when they spend less than a hundred bucks USD on those things.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Jul 2014 at 03:58.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Although I believe I know what you're talking about, I see nothing from your samples. Can you post a small video sample? It's also better for all if you attach it to your Forum post instead of some third party site.

I too think it's some form of EMI, and a good UPS (such as from APC), or good plugbox (such as from Monster), can solve this in many cases.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 15th Jul 2014 at 04:02.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    You can see the floating gray lines if you pump the heck out of luminance on your player or editor. They vary in thickness, float slowly upward, and seem to be at RGB 2 to RGB 5.

Never use anything that has Monster Cable's name on it. Macho name, wimpy performance or worse. I've been there. A good anti-surge and power cleaner requires massive transformers and circuitry to do a good job. If it weighs less than a boot it's under powered.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Jul 2014 at 07:36.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhh. I see it in the video sample now. (Was actually avoiding downloading the video from a third party site since I thought the pics would be telling enough.)

Several things we can try.

Try the 1212 with other captures (maybe DvD or VHS) to see if you get that effect. If so, take it up with Hauppauge or their Support.

Get a better plugbox or UPS. You should have one anyway with computer equipment.

Or, if nothing solves it, take it up with your cable company.
    Quote Quote  
  8. After a gigantic gain (allowing the brighter parts of the picture blow out):

Click image for larger version

Name:	hum.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	26420

Could be in the source, bad grounding, HDPVR issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It called Ground Loop which lee a common problem with Cable system so what you need do is get a ground loop isolator like a Viewsonics VSIS-EU or Jensen VRD-1FF but if your still have that same problem after words then you get a Video Isolators from Jensen Transformers
    Quote Quote  
  10. god that's almost invisible, i don't think it's a problem if to reveal it you need to blast the luma that much, but it's just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I crushed it out like that I thought they were JPEG artifacts. Still didn't see it in the pic, but the video did show the shifting light grays.

Given the advice here, the key for now is to find out where the problem is: the 1212, the electrical system, the cable company, or even the station itself.

Keep in mind, this effect could be worse in some stations than others, but it may still be the cable company and how it's delivering each station on different bandwidths.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the input, I'll try some of your remedies. I did find out that the wiring in my building is like 25 years old. When I fist moved in the cable would digitize all the time so I replaced the wiring with new cable but I may not have grounded it properly. I do use a UPS that most defiantly weighs more than a boot lol. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    It called Ground Loop which lee a common problem with Cable system so what you need do is get a ground loop isolator like a Viewsonics VSIS-EU or Jensen VRD-1FF but if your still have that same problem after words then you get a Video Isolators from Jensen Transformers
    I bought Viewsonics VSIS-EU and instantly fixed my problem! Thanks so much SHS!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for reporting back.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Thanks for reporting back.
    It actually did a lot more than just remove the static or whatever that was, it normalized the audio and seemed to clean up the digitizing. Very good product, highly recommend!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reporting back, Yup that what it dose clean everything up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now I want one!

Even though I don't have, or don't think I have, this problem, it may make an improvement. Ordering now.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Now I want one!

Even though I don't have, or don't think I have, this problem, it may make an improvement. Ordering now.
    The reviews on Amazon where like 4.9 out of 5 stars, best $30 I've spent in a while. Again thanks for everyone's help, especially SHS!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!