VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My end goal is to rip a single audio track from a single episode of an episodic DVD. In order to do this I first decided to try File Mode in DVD Decrypter to demux the single audio stream that I wanted.

The problem is that it rips the audio from one episode and part of the next episode into one file. When I tried to use IFO mode, it displayed only one very long PCG. Based on these results, I think that the DVD might contain a single combination of all the episodes and seek to the proper point to play a specified episode.

I have also tried to use various other tools, but they were even less helpful. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Once it's on the hard drive after having used DVD Decrypter in File Mode, you can use PGCDemux to get just the audio you want. Even if all episodes are in a single PGC, you can get the audio by choosing By VOB ID for the right episode, or even By Cell. Cells usually correspond to chapters.

Another way is with DGIndex once the DVD is on the hard drive. Open the VOB(s) you want and isolate the part you want using the [ and ] buttons. Then File->Save Project File. In addition to the D2V project file, you'll also get the audio by default. There are lots of ways to do what you want.

And your thread title is inappropriate. DVD Decrypter is doing nothing at all inaccurate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yet another person who believes that ooh they just HAVE to keep everything secret. God forbid if he was to tell us what DVD he ripped, even though perhaps by naming it someone here might have information specific to that DVD.

Well, I actually do have information that might be pertinent to your issue. There was a TV show in the USA called The Office. It ran for 9 seasons here. Season 1 was only 6 episodes as the show was what we call a "mid season replacement". Season 1 is only available on DVD. Although filmed in high definition, it was not released on anything but DVD. Only having 6 episodes it's only 1 disc. As a favor to a friend, I did a rip and convert of the individual episodes. I saw exactly what you did - it wasn't possible to rip by episode using DVD Decrypter because the episodes crossed boundaries and whatever you ripped, you ended up with parts of multiple episodes. I had to use VideoReDo to edit it into separate MPG files which I then processed. So yes, I have seen badly authored DVDs that do EXACTLY what you report and the only fix I know of is to rip the whole thing, use an editor to get just what you want into a single file, and then demux that file to get your desired audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And your thread title is inappropriate. DVD Decrypter is doing nothing at all inaccurate.
    As well as his "assumptions"....

People tend to think 1 VOB contains 1 episode and do not understand that episodes can be split amongst more than 1 VOB.

Hi, this software is broken because it does not do what I think it should do!!!
    Although I have no knowledge of how a DVD is laid out or what I am doing!!
    Why won't DvdReMakePro combine all my MP4's and make me a Bluray disc ?!?!?!?
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I realized that I could just use the chapter selection option in DVD Decrypter to get it to cut an episode at a time.

I know that DVD Decrypter is not at fault, I'll choose a better title next time.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Yet another person who believes that ooh they just HAVE to keep everything secret. God forbid if he was to tell us what DVD he ripped, even though perhaps by naming it someone here might have information specific to that DVD.
    I didn't think it would be relevant and no one asked.

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    As well as his "assumptions"....

People tend to think 1 VOB contains 1 episode and do not understand that episodes can be split amongst more than 1 VOB.

Hi, this software is broken because it does not do what I think it should do!!!
    Although I have no knowledge of how a DVD is laid out or what I am doing!!
    Why won't DvdReMakePro combine all my MP4's and make me a Bluray disc ?!?!?!?
    LOL!!!
    I understand that one VOB doesn't necessarily contain 1 episode. I'm aware that I do not know all there is to know about DVDs, that's why I made a thread seeking help.
    Last edited by ROBO731; 14th Jul 2014 at 23:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ROBO731 View Post
    I realized that I could just use the chapter selection option in DVD Decrypter to get it to cut an episode at a time.
    I should have thought of that myself since I've done it that way before when all episodes were in a single PGC. I'm glad you figured that out on your own and were able to solve your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDDecrypter
    Latest version:
    3.5.4.0 (March 21, 2005)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVDDecrypter
    Latest version:
    3.5.4.0 (March 21, 2005)
    Yeah, so? It's good for maybe 95% of the DVDs ever made. I rarely come across one it can't decrypt. But then I have no interest in Hollywood's latest and greatest. You'll notice he said he solved his problem using DVD Decrypter. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think something like DVDFab HD Decrypter can choose to decrypt the cells corresponding to an episode when all the episodes are in a single PGC. And it's an extremely rare episodic TV series DVD that DVD Decrypter can't handle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVDDecrypter
    Latest version:
    3.5.4.0 (March 21, 2005)
    Yeah, so? It's good for maybe 95% of the DVDs ever made. I rarely come across one it can't decrypt. But then I have no interest in Hollywood's latest and greatest. You'll notice he said he solved his problem using DVD Decrypter. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think something like DVDFab HD Decrypter can choose to decrypt the cells corresponding to an episode when all the episodes are in a single PGC. And it's an extremely rare episodic TV series DVD that DVD Decrypter can't handle.
    I too still use DVDDecrypter quote often but that was not the point of my post. My point was that "next time" you run into this problem, keep the "expiration date" in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, I realize that it's old, but even so, it hasn't failed me yet.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!