VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've been struggling at producing H264 videos with constant frame rates in TS containers.

I use Avanti on Windows with some additional ffmpeg commands. I'm able to set every little parameter that is required: video pid, profile-level, PAR, bitrate, keyframe interval, b frames, buffer size, muxrate, audio bitrate..., however MediaInfo and iMediaHUD on Mac says that my output files have variable frame rates, which is not acceptable in my case. Even if I set the proper toggle to 25fps and add -r 25 to the command line, the output file is vfr, instead of constant/25.

I have just tried iFFmpeg on Mac, and although I'm not able to set stream IDs, buffer size, muxrate - I can force fps with a toggle, but in spite of that MediaInfo says my output file has variable frame rate.

Could someone please explain me how can I encode MPEG/MOV/MP4 files to TS (AVC/H264-AC3 CBR) with constant frame rate, in a way that my above mentioned parameters are also set?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. mediainfo is misreporting; transport streams don't support variable frame rates
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, then I assume I have a valid file format...
    Is there an app that report correct frame rate mode information on media files? Also, why video FPS info is not shown in Mediainfo when I drop a TS file in it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It has to do with way mediainfo derives information. It doesn't actually parse the file, so it isn't always accurate

If mediainfo is bothering you , you can use force-cfr with -x264opts in ffmpeg. Mediainfo shows FPS, and does not say "variable" when output to transport stream

no opts
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    -x264opts force-cfr
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Whether or not a file is "valid" or not depends on your definition and what the intended purpose is. For example, ffmpeg's MPEG-TS muxer produces incompatible files in some applications
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 14th Jul 2014 at 17:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the additional information.
    -x264opts force-cfr does the job, also to set the overall bitrate mode from variable to constant, I used -muxrate as well.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!