VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi last week i got a brand new monitor its now connected by hdmi. Before my new monitor i used capture from my happauge usb live 2. at regular size. Old captures was used on old monitor by vga and it wintv 7 program. always captured correct size. I was using win 7 on my old desktop with the capture the same usb live 2. I am not sure what to do i connected support and no replay yet from them. I don't feel like hooking up the vga also to my new monitor to see if it helps or fixes the problem. Is there some kind of tweak or something i can to fix this issue. I don't really feel like converting all the captures to correct size to make a dvd out of them. I capture mpeg-ts off wintv 7 app. I cannot find anything in the settings to fix my problem.

I use windows 7 64bit. Is there any programs out there that are free i can capture to mpeg for free? Besides the program that came with mine is movie factory 5 by ulead. Let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, your device can only capture the following resolutions:
    720x480
    1280x720
    1920x1080

The resolution you get is determined by the video input - what you put in is what you record. 720 input gets recorded at 1280x720, for example. This is not changeable by the user. What resolution do you think you are getting and how exactly did you determine that it was wrong?

Secondly, under Windows your device can only use a Hauppauge provided program that I think is named Hauppauge Capture, Movie Factory and I think that one of our users swears that Cyberlink's PowerDirector can work with various Hauppauge devices, but I can't personally verify that. Happuauge Capture (or whatever they call it) is free from the Hauppauge website, but again, as your device CANNOT have the user change the capture resolution, I don't think changing software is going to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My old captures on my came to 720x480 the correct dvd size running on 19inch monitor by vga. Now when i capture it shows up this. width 640 height 480 this is from media info. I can't figure out how to copy the whole tree info. I capture from s-video connected to my directv dvr.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think jman98 confused the USB Live 2 with the HD-PVR 2, an HD capture device. The USB Live 2 can only capture standard definition video and includes a CD with WinTV 7 and Ulead DVD MovieFactory software.

If the USB Live 2 is like many other SD-only capture devices, it can capture at both 720x480 and 640x480. It is doubtful that simply changing monitors could force the USB Live 2 to use a different resolution for capture. Have you used other capture software with the USB Live 2? That could change the settings. Unfortunately I don't have a the USB Live 2, so I can't tell you how to set a different resolution when using Ulead DVD MovieFactory.

Nothing that is capable of capturing DVD-compatible MPEG-2 video is free. PowerDirector and MAGIX Movie Edit Pro are two that should work for capturing DVD compatible MPEG 2. Virtualdub, Media Player Classic Home Cinema and AmaRecTV are freeware that should work with the USB Live 2, but they do not capture DVD-compatible MPEG-2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used no other software to capture Just wintv 7 program nothing else. I changed nothing when I changed monitors. I'm stumped. I did install magix movie edit 12 witch I own but its not areo friendly. I am haven't tried it yet. I did remove wintv 7 yesterday to install a older version but no luck still captures not full dvd size. I don't understand why its like this. I changed nothing at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The monitor shouldn't change the capture settings in Win TV. My guess is either the setting in the program your using to play the captures was changed or it's the resolution settings for your monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the monitor is set at 1080p hdmi plug. Do you think that could cause it? Do you think i should go to vga and capture see if it captures the right size. Without unpluging the hdmi?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something's really weird here. According to VirtualDub, and the old capture tool MainConcept MPEG Encoder, the USB-Live2 does not support a capture resolution of 640x480 (tried with HuffYUV, Ut, Lagarith, and even DivX/Xvid, and MPEG-2 with MC), but allows 720x480.

The apps allow 640x480 with other devices, like the ATI 600 USB.

I've long stopped using WinTV, and it doesn't even work any more on my system, so can't confirm here, but I wouldn't think otherwise. Something is really off with your system since you're getting 640x480 files - which I'm assuming (for now) are not supposed to be supported.

BTW - Do these "640x480" caps reported by MediaInfo actually look a bit smaller when compared with your old 720x480 caps? Is it also reporting 640x480 on your older ones too? Just curious.

I too believe the monitor shouldn't change your capture settings, but maybe messed with your system's resolution, or maybe the HDMI cable is doing something somewhere. Similar things have happened to me with a new monitor put into an older system. I would play around with this, and VGA, and Windows settings a bit.

Also try Support with your monitor. Many have drivers for problems like this.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I think jman98 confused the USB Live 2 with the HD-PVR 2, an HD capture device. The USB Live 2 can only capture standard definition video and includes a CD with WinTV 7 and Ulead DVD MovieFactory software.
    Yep, I sure did get them confused. My bad though. Sorry about that. That was why I was completely puzzled as I know the HD-PVR 2 can only record at the resolutions I listed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @PuzZLeR I checked the files of my old caps at 720x480 Same information in both expect the size of the video. I also played both videos smaller size and normal size And the 640 looks a bit smaller like on top when playing it. I use vlc media player. Ill look into my graphics card setting its a amd. I tried using the vga pluged into the card also with hdmi pluged but my monitor keeps coming up no single for vga hdmi works great. Ill check for drivers for something with the monitor to see what I find out. Ill report back.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    @PuzZLeR I checked the files of my old caps at 720x480 Same information in both expect the size of the video. I also played both videos smaller size and normal size And the 640 looks a bit smaller like on top when playing it. I use vlc media player. Ill look into my graphics card setting its a amd. I tried using the vga pluged into the card also with hdmi pluged but my monitor keeps coming up no single for vga hdmi works great. Ill check for drivers for something with the monitor to see what I find out. Ill report back.
    Just to cover all possibilities, are the new caps MPEG-2 video? H.264/AVC, Xvid/DivX and some other video formats where square pixels are the norm use 640x480 resolution for SD video. MPEG-2 can use 640x480 too, but non-square pixels are more common.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its mpeg 2 inside mpeg-ts
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!