VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Apple device comes with a Fingerprint Scanner

The new iPhone's perhaps most cutting-edge feature, fingerprint scanning technology, comes with a catch: Some people don't have fingerprints at all.

Apple announced the new TouchID feature on Tuesday in Cupertino, Calif., at a closely watched press conference. Senior vice president of worldwide marketing, Phillip Schiller, showed off the fingerprint scanner, which uses touch sensors and laser-cut sapphire crystal to take a high-resolution image of a fingerprint and store it inside the phone. TouchID then recognizes the owner’s unique fingerprint to unlock the phone.

Schiller called it "an innovative way to simply and securely unlock your phone with just the touch of a finger."

The scanner can also be used to let people buy things from the iTunes store and App store without needing to enter a password. A similar feature for the iPhone had been widely expected after Apple acquired AuthenTec, a fingerprint-scanner company, last year for $356 million.

Security experts praised the new fingerprint sensor for helping keep cybercriminals at bay. But some, like Michael Barrett, president of the Fast IDentity Online Alliance, which advocates for using fingerprints, voices and faces -- known as biometrics -- to replace passwords, pointed to a possible problem: Barrett said fingerprint sensors may "work well, but they don’t work well for everybody."

People who make a living with their hands -- for example, artists, construction workers and teachers who use chalkboards -- can wear down their fingertips so much that fingerprint sensors may not be able to identify them, Barrett said.
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    More on Fingerprint Scanning Technology...
    Apple's Acquired Fingerprint Sensor Patent

On July 18, 2013, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals the technology behind their new fingerprint sensor which will be used in a future fingerprint scanner for the iPhone and possibly other iDevices and Macs. The technology revealed is from Apple's acquired AuthenTec. Apple's interest in fingerprint scanners for the iPhone and Mac first surfaced in a 2009 patent application. Apple's project was then advanced in 2012 illustrating that a fingerprint scanner could be combined with face or eye recognition (or Retina recognition) to enhance security needs. Then in May of this year, Apple revealed yet another patent filing describing a fingerprint scanner that could be concealed beneath a touchscreen and only surface when needed in a particular application. One of Apple's last patent filings on this subject matter revealed that a fingerprint scanner could also be hidden within a future MacBook or an iDevice bezel. Apple appears to be covering every conceivable application for a future fingerprint scanner. At the end of the day, the race is on to find new authentication methods that will provide users with a secure e-commerce transaction process within their hardware while simplifying the user login process. Today we get to the heart of the actual technology behind Apple's future fingerprint sensor/scanner.
    As as you know, Samsung also follows Apple's trail.
    Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    Samsung Galaxy S5 was given a thumbs-down by the researchers for one critical flaw. The fingerprint scanner allows for multiple incorrect attempts without requring a password. So someone could potentially keep trying one fingerprint spoof after another until access is finally achieved.

The Galaxy S5's fingerprint scan can also be associated with certain secure apps and services. So once the initial scan gains entry to the phone, someone can open an app such as PayPal with no further security or identification required. As shown in the video, the person is able to log in to PayPal, giving him the ability to access the owner's account.
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    Now you will not be surprised,
    Why China does call the iPhone and iOS 7 threats to national security?
    Computerworld - China's state-run television today told owners of Apple's iPhone that the device is a threat to national security because it tracks their movements.

Reuters reported on the broadcast by CCTV (China Central Television) earlier Friday.

The segment broadcast by CCTV took aim at iOS 7's "Frequent Locations" feature, which records places the user has been and the duration they were there. The functionality is designed to learn important locales to provide preemptive information, such as directions to a frequently-patronized restaurant or the estimated commute time to work.

"Apple's mobile phone positioning can view the user's home address ... and whereabouts," the CCTV report said. "Even if this feature is turned off, the information will still be recorded. From this feature, [someone] can get a cell phone user's occupation, place of work, home address ... and then obtain the overall situation of the user."

According to Reuters' translation, a researcher quoted by CCTV said, "This is extremely sensitive data" that could reveal "even state secrets."

iOS's Frequent Locations, which is part of the operating system's location services framework, is enabled by default, but can be turned off by the user. "This data is kept solely on your device and won't be sent to Apple without your consent," Apple states on its support site.
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    China’s main issue with Apple devices is that the Frequent Locations feature could allow “those with access to that data to gain knowledge of China’s economic situation or ‘even state secrets.” it may also allow for sensitive information to leak out.
    Last edited by enim; 13th Jul 2014 at 08:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    it may also allow for sensitive information to leak out.
    Geez....I guess if you take your iPhone to Tienanmen Square it self destructs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally posted by hech54

Geez....I guess if you take your iPhone to Tienanmen Square it self destructs.
    I would agree with you (but, with some minor doubts). As we can never imagine Power of Chinese Technology.
    As everybody might be knowing that Chinese were very successful to fake Apple Devices and Apple Store.
    Here, Apple has at least one plus point to blame China if anything goes wrong with own device.

I was an Apple lover since iPhone2 to iPhone5C deal. Lately Samsung.

May be tomorrow morning first thing I will do is put all devices on the street in a one line and drive my Benz over before having a nice cup of coffee.

Would you like have a small round of Beers & Cheers with me now?
    Today I am drinking Hel & Verdoemenis 666, tomorrow may be Weihenstephan.
    U R Wel-Come!
    Last edited by enim; 13th Jul 2014 at 02:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll have an Andeschs Dunkel Weizen, or Doppelbock.....your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'll have an Andeschs Dunkel Weizen, or Doppelbock.....your choice
    I would like to go-go with your choice today.

How about and IDEA of mailing an invitation to all Media Tycoons from all over the Globe residing in countries highly concerned with Public Privacy & Protection of Human Freedom Rights to join and take-over our BEER party today?

I hope they will remember their job & mission both, after having couples of beers and getting drunk.
    Last edited by enim; 13th Jul 2014 at 09:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    China’s main issue with Apple devices is that the Frequent Locations feature could allow “those with access to that data to gain knowledge of China’s economic situation or ‘even state secrets.” it may also allow for sensitive information to leak out.
    The Chinese government's problem with that is that Apple would have that information, not the Chinese government. The Chinese government needs to have their people use Chinese phones with built in Chinese government back doors so the Chinese government gets all that information, not Apple.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, this is a great way for the powers that be to get everyone's finger print on record along with other information.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  8. I would not be surprised if people start returning such nasty HIGHLY OVER PRICED purchased devices for FULL refunds.
    At least they can spend refunded money on healthy foods so that their brain start working.

================================================
    A drunk in the bar told me that BRAIN starts getting junk, if you eat junk foods.
    Last edited by enim; 13th Jul 2014 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Samsung dreams of retina scanner
    Samsung may have a couple ideas to help its phones and tablets stand out again, as the company feels growing pressure from cheaper Android devices.

On Samsung’s Exynos Twitter account, the company hinted at a retina scanner for future Samsung devices. “Security can be improved using features unique to us,” said the Twitter post, which included an image of a phone with an eye at the center, next to a mock interface for paying bills.
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    Smart Devices are easy hackable than desktops or laptops.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Allow me to ask you guys a very straight forward question, as I am also in the business so called as Technology,

The Question is...
    Where I can buy currency bill printing machine for multiple countries?

B'coz this is the only machine I am looking for to scrape rest of the equipments.
    It will definitely prevent my R&D Department draining my fund for the nasty researches and innovations.
    It will definitely prevent my organization to fondle with innocent peoples privacy & personal financial data.
    It will definitely prevent my organization to make announcements with full of lies to Re-Re-Re-GAIN customers faith & trust.
    It will definitely prevent my organization working as a nasty NSA alliance.
    It will definitely prevent my employees playing dirty politics & F**King every-where in whole universe.
    On the top of all these, it will definitely allow me to print to the amount I can be buried completely to the top and above of my head.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey I still have one of those lead bags one used for rolls of film when going through customs X-rays back years ago before we all got paranoid about security, wondering if I cut it down to iPhone size I could slip it in and block out any tracking when I'm not using it? Another plus no krypton rays to turn it green..... now where is Tom Wellings these days?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!