VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Location: Magyarország
    Search Comp PM
    I have to edit a video from several .mts clips. I don't know what camera was used for the shots. My problem is whenever I try to play them in either windows media player or gom player or bs player or splash (designed for HD videos), or edit them in After Effects, I get this strange screen tearing. I have tried to convert it into .mp4 (h264), but the problem persists. I uploaded it to youtube to test it out ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfCP-o9RiY ), but the screen tearing occurs here also as you can see.
    Does this mean that the footage is corrupt from the beginning and there is no way to fix it? The strange thing is that the guy who gave me these said he had these tearings also, but when another guy edited another video from these clips, it played without tearing, so it's not the camera's fault, it can be fixed. But if so, then how?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Looks corrupted to me . It might be that the other guy edited a clip that was fine. ie. only some of clips might be corrupted

    Might be a card issue (media), might be a bad camera

    If you upload a native sample, someone can examine it to verify if the clip is corrupted. If you have the same clip that the other guy edited wihtout tearing then upload that one as well to compare
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Location: Magyarország
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Looks corrupted to me . It might be that the other guy edited a clip that was fine. ie. only some of clips might be corrupted

    Might be a card issue (media), might be a bad camera

    If you upload a native sample, someone can examine it to verify if the clip is corrupted. If you have the same clip that the other guy edited wihtout tearing then upload that one as well to compare
    What do you mean by native sample? The clip I uploaded to youtube is the original .mts clip, I did not convert that into anything, it's straight from the camera. Yes, maybe only some of the clips are corrupted, but you are saying that this clip (and others which are tearing) is corrupted and unrepairable right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    upload one of the original problem .MTS clips so that someone can evaluate it and possibly determine the problem. It may or may not just be a decoder issue and not the clip itself.
    The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of the man in his prime.......
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Location: Magyarország
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    upload one of the original problem .MTS clips so that someone can evaluate it and possibly determine the problem. It may or may not just be a decoder issue and not the clip itself.
    The one I uploaded IS an original .mts clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGUQjLvj23U&feature=youtu.be here is another. The strange thing is that it seems like the tearing occurs differently on youtube than in windows media player, I mean like at different times or in different sections of the frames.
    If you asked for a downloadable version of the file then: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-v7YMQOMxBocF9KelRkVm9KaDg/edit?usp=sharing i hope you can download like that, if not please tell me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: USA
    Search Comp PM
    There's definitely messed-up data in the file. To add to poisondeathray's questions, what kind of card was this recorded to (brand and class), was it really fast enough to record 20 mbs video + 5.1 audio? When was it last formatted? What camera did you use?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Location: Magyarország
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    There's definitely messed-up data in the file. To add to poisondeathray's questions, what kind of card was this recorded to (brand and class), was it really fast enough to record 20 mbs video + 5.1 audio? When was it last formatted? What camera did you use?
    Sorry, I don't know about anything since I got the files on a USB stick to make a video from several clips. But it doesn't matter since I can do nothing to fix the tearing, right? Re-recording is not an option since they were made at football matches, so I've got to work with what I have now.
    Thanks for the fast replies though!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: USA
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, Premiere Pro handles the clip reasonably well -- certainly not perfectly. After Effects should be about the same. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Location: Magyarország
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    FWIW, Premiere Pro handles the clip reasonably well -- certainly not perfectly. After Effects should be about the same. Best of luck.
    Yes, the tearing isn't so bad, I guess I have to make the best of what I have.. by the way, in After Effects, if I import the native mts file, it doesn't recognize audio, so for it to play with audio I had to convert it into .mp4 (h264). The conversion did not cause any more tearing, so it's fine, I just don't know why, since as I know, after effects supports mts files...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    Yes the file is corrupted and likely there are errors on the SD card. Track down the shooter and tell them that as a general rule, they should do an in-camera low level format (after they copied files to HDD) to remove errors on the SD card.
    The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of the man in his prime.......
    Quote Quote