VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hoping a member may be able to help me converting flac files to MP3. I have downloaded SmartFFmpeg however it will not start-up.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Avanti or WinFF are more commonly used ffmpeg guis. I can personally attest that they both start.
    Quote Quote  
  3. TAudioConverter is designed for converting audio.

I'll also give foobar2000 a recommendation but it'll probably take more time to set it up and get used to it. I think you need to download the LAME MP3 encoder yourself and foobar2000 will ask you where it is the first time you try to encode an MP3.

The main reason I use foobar2000 a lot for audio encoding (I also use it to re-encode movie soundtrack audio etc to AAC) is because once you have the converter presets you require set up and saved, conversion is very easy. You can load as many audio tracks as you like into a playlist, highlight them all, right click and select convert, and foobar2000 will convert as many simultaneously as you have CPU cores until it's done.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I strongly recommend foobar2000. It may not be the easiest choice around, but it's well worth the initial effort.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    Hoping a member may be able to help me converting flac files to MP3. I have downloaded SmartFFmpeg however it will not start-up.
    Do you mean music files?

If not foobar, there's LameDropXPd. Very simple, just drag-n-drop your flacs to get Lame v.3.99.5 encoded mp3s. Right click the window to check/change any settings (like output directory, VBR quality, etc), then you're all set.

32 & 64 bit versions available
    http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lamedrop.php
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
    Do you mean music files?
    As opposed to what ?
    Video ?

FLAC, Free Lossless Audio Codec.

Yeah, I would say it's a good bet they are music files, not that it really matters as it could be a lecture or any audio, but FLAC is AUDIO.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know what flac is. I was just asking because I wasn't sure Lamedrop would take something as long as a movie's/concert's audio track. I guess it probably does, though.
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about lamedrop but you asked if he meant "music files", like it matters, FLAC is audio regardless.......
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity is a good program to convert flac to mp3 as long as you install the lame_enc.dll into audacity for mp3 output.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
    I was just asking because I wasn't sure Lamedrop would take something as long as a movie's/concert's audio track. I guess it probably does, though.
    Huh? What's does that have to do with what was originally asked?
    No one has mentioned anything about duration (apart from you).
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't click on his link since it's an unknown file,i only trust most forum links here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Don't click on his link since it's an unknown file,i only trust most forum links here.
    Whose link?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    redsandvb links.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    redsandvb links.
    VideoHelp links to Rarewares site as well (i.e. Visit developers site).
    Stop worrying.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    i only trust most forum links here.
    That implies there's some you don't trust
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Such as crappy k-lite links.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    I was just asking because I wasn't sure Lamedrop would take something as long as a movie's/concert's audio track. I guess it probably does, though.
    Huh? What's does that have to do with what was originally asked?
    No one has mentioned anything about duration (apart from you).
    Not much, but in the off chance that the OP actually wanted to convert a concert/movie track I didn't want to recommend Lamedrop if it didn't work with long tracks. That's all

Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You don't have to trust my link if you don't want to. Going to rarewares.org one could navigate to the mp3 section, then to the Lamedrop section on their own. Sure it doesn't say anything about the actual file itself but you can look at the source code if you want, it's there to download as well. BTW, I am not the developer. I just use rarewares to get my lame and flac compiles and a few other things. About Lamedrop, it's just a nice easy way for someone to convert to lame encoded mp3s...especially for people unfamiliar with foobar, etc. Just trying to be helpful.
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Rarewares use most of the guys from Hydrogenaudio. It is a trusted site. Also, lamedropXPd works just fine. you can access more options by right-clicking on drop window.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Do you mean music files?
    As opposed to what ?
    Video ?

Yeah, I would say it's a good bet they are music files, not that it really matters as it could be a lecture or any audio, but FLAC is AUDIO.
    At the risk of being argumentative.....
    FLAC can be multi-channel, but MP3 can't (I know there's a version which can be but for the sake of the discussion it's not relevant). It's more liley FLAC music files won't be multichannel and require a conversion program capable of down-mixing.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you don't mind the extra step of decoding the FLAC files to WAV, then try Trader's Little Helper. Then RazorLame to encode wav to mp3.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OR you could do it the easy way with Freemake Audio Converter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's 2014, and we need a thread on how to encode MP3 at this point? Like, it's a challenge or problem?
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Do you mean music files?
    As opposed to what ?
    Video ?

At the risk of being argumentative.....
    FLAC can be multi-channel, but MP3 can't (I know there's a version which can be but for the sake of the discussion it's not relevant). It's more liley FLAC music files won't be multichannel and require a conversion program capable of down-mixing.
    DON'T get me going!!!!!!
    I have been being pretty good for a while now!!!

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!