VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

Sorry for the newb question. I have some old crappy tv shows that were recorded onto a DVD-recorder some years ago. I've used DVD Fab to pull them onto my computer in separate VOB files, and will be using Handbrake to encode them to a nice MKV for porting over to my media server.

The audio on some of these is terrible. I have some proficiency in Soundforge, so my plan is to 1) take out the audio from the VOB files; 2) edit/tweak in Soundforge; and 3) remerge the audio back into the VOB files before converting to MKV. I have been able to extract the audio from the VOB's using VirtualDub MPEG edition (saved as a WAV file even though it is AC3); I then used TAudioConverter to convert it to 16-bit, 44.1 2-channel WAV (Soundforge wouldn't open the file until I converted it); and have successfully cleaned up the audio. Now the trick is how to get it back into the VOB file, in a way that doesn't require reformatting / reconverting the video.

I've used VirtualDub in the past to do a similar process with small AVI files; using "Direct Stream Copy" on the video, and using external WAV file to add in the audio. I'm wondering - is there a program that could do this with VOB/MPEG files? (Unfortunately, if I use VirtualDub it can't to a direct stream copy of a VOB/MPEG, it has to convert to AVI, which is exactly what I want to avoid.) I can't find any programs that will do this so far, so I am looking for some suggestions.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could use MKVMergeGUI. Deselect the original sound track, add the edited one, mux to MKV and use that as input to HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Welcome.

Not sure what you want to do here. If you want a re-authored VIDEO_TS DVD structure, what's the point of mkv? I think maybe you intend to make things look better by re-encoding to h264 ? ? Re-encoding crappy tv recordings gives you a crappy re-encoded mkv. External media players can handle MPEG just as well without re-encoding.

VOB2MPG could pull those VOB's off disc into a solid MPEG file, which is what you should be working with. You can pull off the audio with just about any free software (including VirtualoDub), clean it up, then resample properly and rejoin to MPEG with most authoring programs.

Originally Posted by ojo123 View Post
    I then used TAudioConverter to convert it to 16-bit, 44.1 2-channel WAV
    MPEG/DVD is 48Khz, AC3 or LPCM. If you're in PAL country you can also use MPEG-1 Layer2, which is inferior. DVD audio can't be anything else.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

Except for VirtualDub and a few others, I only use paid software to do what you want. Members who use the free stuff can advise about that.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    You could use MKVMergeGUI. Deselect the original sound track, add the edited one, mux to MKV and use that as input to HandBrake.
    That worked **perfectly**. Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. I appreciate the help!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!