VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently purchased a box set of DVDs from the UK called strike back. The first DVD worked fine however the rest say the region code is incorrect . How do I change this to watch these DVDs ? DVD player is a Panasonic model DMR-XW390 any help would be much appreciated
    Pato1979
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just make backup copies of the discs.....that will make them region free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Cheers mate I will try this have you known of this to work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It will work for YOU since you are in Australia and can play either native PAL or NTSC material. All you need to do is remove the region code from the discs by copying and you are good to go. In the meantime since you are in Oz you may want to contact Panasonic Australia and ask for a region code removal on your player. I've heard that....by law....people in Oz can ask for their players to be made region free and (if you bought your player in Oz) Panasonic much oblige.
    Copying with DVDFabDecrypter and burning back to a dual layer disc is faster.....for now.

UK is PAL also....like Australia.....just for the record.
    and NTSC/PAL and Region Codes are NOT the same.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Cheers heaps hech54 will look into all that big help mate
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic will region-free their players at no charge in New Zealand, and I believe the same is true in Australia. Don't know whether it's actually required by law, but they will certainly do it.

@hech54: The PAL/NTSC thing is almost irrelevant in Australia and New Zealand now. Technically they are both PAL countries, and that's the broadcast format. However, it would be virtually mission impossible to find either a player or TV sold in the last five years that didn't comfortably cope with both formats.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    Panasonic will region-free their players at no charge in New Zealand, and I believe the same is true in Australia. Don't know whether it's actually required by law, but they will certainly do it.

@hech54: The PAL/NTSC thing is almost irrelevant in Australia and New Zealand now. Technically they are both PAL countries, and that's the broadcast format. However, it would be virtually mission impossible to find either a player or TV sold in the last five years that didn't comfortably cope with both formats.
    We had an Aussie who explained to us that the relevant law stated that it was legal for manufacturers to make or allow their players to be unlocked in Australia but it was NOT a REQUIREMENT. We have also had reports of a few companies (I don't honestly remember which ones) who have refused to unlock recently purchased players. So it's not required by law, but allowed. hech54 said this, but some may not understand his point.

Trust me, hech54 most definitely understands exactly what you put in your comments directed towards him and you have misunderstood him in thinking he doesn't. Of everybody here, he is our member most likely to remind people that just getting rid of the region code via ripping and reburning, particularly in NTSC countries, may not be enough to make discs play. In fact, his point was exactly what you put in your comments to him. Read what he said again and you will see that he said essentially the same thing you directed at him.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Is this directed at me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If one disk from a box set plays, they all should. Check the box. The Region Code should be stated.

UK is Region 2. Australia is Region 4. But many dvds are coded up as 2-4. I have bought Australian dvds and these play fine here.

They could even be Region 0. I believe some players have issues with such disks. Or even the disks could be faulty.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pato1979 - Assuming YOUR comment is directed at ME...
    No, my post #7 is not directed at you. I quoted Chopmeister so I'm not thinking you need extraordinary perception here to figure out that it just might be directed at him. Anyway, there's no harm in asking Panasonic to unlock your player, but if they refuse, my post will tell you why (they legally don't HAVE to do it - it's completely optional).

DB83 - As crazy as it sounds, it's possible that maybe due to an error the first disc has different region coding from the others. I don't feel like walking the OP through the process to figure out what regions are on his discs, but if you do, go for it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Ok no worries thanks mate ! Cheers for help !
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!