VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just went to rip a blu-ray movie to MKV and all it's done decrypt the entire disc and the Stream folder is full of M2TS files that can't play. If my movie is ripped to MKV, where is it? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you were using MakeMKV and clicked File-->Backup, then you made a complete copy of the movie in Blu-ray format, not mkv. The files in the Streams folder should be .m2ts.

If you were using MakeMKV and clicked Open Disc, then you should have seen a screen that looks something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MakeMKV first window.PNG
Views:	303
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	26297

To get the main movie you should have taken the check marks out of most of the boxes, expanded the line for the main movie and selected the audio, video and subtitles you wanted to keep:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Make MKV 2nd picture.PNG
Views:	260
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	26298

At this point, you would click on the box with the diagonal green arrow in it to "Save selected titles" to .mkv format in whichever folder you selected as the output destination.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get that on mine. When I click on File and select Open Files it shows my Destination Folder and when I click on the drive letter where my blu-ray is I don't know where the movie is located on the disc.

When I tried the other option, Open Disc to see what happens there, I got a message about the software being Shareware on that part with 30 days. Anyway, when I select Open Files I get different to what is in your first screen shot.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I found it. I misread something you said. What is that 30 day thing about over a Shareware? I thought this software was free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The software is free to use while in beta. You can ignore the message. But you will have to periodically download a new version, or input a new beta key every month to six weeks to keep using it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    At the moment I'm having other problems with Handbrake. When I add a blu-ray file it never seems to compress anything. It's as if the software is on pause all the time but I have numbers moving at the bottom of my screen but there's no progress bar as a percentage bar.

I thought I'd try XMedia Recode. I got that all set-up with a blu-ray file ready and the Encode option is greyed out. Everything is one problem after another and these pieces of software are supposed to be easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    These tools are easy for us to use. But then, we've been working with them for years.

Lets try VidCoder, since this is a tool that I use for conversions. It is based on Handbrake, but has a slightly different user interface.

Once you have it installed, go to Options and set up your default output folder. The next step is to determine what type of file you want as output. Vidcoder can make mp4 or mkv files encoded with H264. Of the two, mp4 is probably more widely accepted at the moment, but mkv is slightly more flexible. You have to choose one or the other depending on what equipment you wish to play the video on. If you are using Apple equipment, I would suggest mp4.

Next, choose your input. If you have an mkv file, choose a file input, if a DVD or Blu-ray, choose the main movie folder. Next step is to determine which preset you will be using. There are about 15 presets available for various types of equipment. I normally make High Profile mkv files, since all of my playback equipment is fairly new, fast and capable of using this preset.

Once you select your preset, click on Encoding Settings. If you have chosen the High Profile, or Normal Profile, there is one setting that absolutely needs to be changed. Go to the Video tab and click the little circle next to Constant Framerate. I also remember you want a certain range on output size, so click on the circle next to Target Size, change the output size to 4500MB (4.5GB), put a check mark in the box for 2 pass encoding and a check mark in Turbo First pass. Close the settings window and start the encode. This will take hours to complete, but the time will vary quite a lot depending on the speed of your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help. I managed to copy a blu-ray as a MKV file and now I have yet another problem. The movie isn't playing properly, the picture keeps on jumping about every three seconds as if somebody has edited a few frames out every three seconds where it's like having jump cuts everywhere. This is what I don't understand. It's one problem after another. Just when I think I'm getting things done another problem starts and I wonder what will be the next. Do you have any ideas what's causing this jumping with the footage? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    What did you use to make the copy? Is this the mkv file straight from MakeMKV or is this one that you have re-encoded with another program? If it is re-encoded, what settings did you use?

In any case, its not something I have encountered, and no one will be able to diagnose it without a lot more information.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped an MKV file with MakeMKV. I'm hoping it's PC lag but I can't reboot yet because I'm compressing something else with XMedia Recode and I wouldn't dare abort the encoding because it takes so many hours and it's been running for about two hours now with five hours and forty-nine minutes remaining. Many thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!