VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is the second time I've tried to record a DVD for temporary storage on my hard drive, only to find VLC cuts out part way into the playback.

On the most recent DVD, it quit at the very same place twice.

Are there things on newer DVDs that are making it harder for VLC to record them?

VLC also has trouble getting going again next time I try to use it. The computer tells me "VLC just crashed".

After one or two attempts, it starts working normally again, but this is spooking me.

Edit:
    (And come to think of it, since these were unmonitored recordings, as I set up then walk away, it's possible VLC just can't play the two DVDs involved. If that's what's happening, how weird is that?)
    Last edited by gastrof; 5th Jul 2014 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi.

I've not used VLC to record from DVD, but I think about possible reasons why this happens
    1. VLC make a video file with little or no compression, resulting a large file that grows faster than the harddrive can write.
    2. You tell VLC to compress the video file with a format that require too much CPU, so that the video stream doesn't get completely encoded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
    This is the second time I've tried to record a DVD for temporary storage on my hard drive, only to find VLC cuts out part way into the playback.

On the most recent DVD, it quit at the very same place twice.

Are there things on newer DVDs that are making it harder for VLC to record them?

VLC also has trouble getting going again next time I try to use it. The computer tells me "VLC just crashed".

After one or two attempts, it starts working normally again, but this is spooking me.

Edit:
    (And come to think of it, since these were unmonitored recordings, as I set up then walk away, it's possible VLC just can't play the two DVDs involved. If that's what's happening, how weird is that?)
    I'm having trouble trying to figure out why anyone would want to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Probable reason: copy protection, my guess is that libdvdcss can't optain the cryptography keys (not unheard of, goolge for 'Error cracking CSS key')
    -> may be updating your vlc and libdvdcss helps

I'm having trouble trying to figure out why anyone would want to do this.
    VLC can be used as a DVD ripper when combined with libdvdcss.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I read a report some time ago where changing the the error reporting to '>Verbose' stopped a crash occurring.
    I can't remember which version had the bug, or how long ago it was. I am not sure if it's been fixed. Might be worth a shot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    VLC can be used as a DVD ripper when combined with libdvdcss.
    Obviously not, at least in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Problem is just that libdvdcss isn't the best ripper.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Problem is just that libdvdcss isn't the best ripper.
    Well, VLC has always worked well...up to these two problem discs.

Has anyone else had the same type of trouble?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I never have used VLC for ripping, but I have read about ripping troubles with vlc a few times before.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!