VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Anyone
    Ok.. issue is, I recorded a bunch (13) of sat/tv episodes not realizing all the time only one (left) side was properly plugged in.
    so.. the idea is to try and add the left to the right so at least I have a decent mono sound. (the episodes are just class lessons)
    I am (a bit) used to pgcDemux n IFOedit, n noticed there's alot more features on these toys than I am familiar with, I am not so savvy as to amend audio... I've downloaded Muxman n VobBlanker.. (and that's all I know about them)
    The files are all .VOB (ie DVD files)
    Does 'anyone' know a simple technique to solve this problem.... pleeeeeze??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Audacity with the ffmpeg plugin will strip the audio straight from the VOB. Just drag the video file onto it.
    Follow instructions here to create a second track for pseudo-stereo mix:

http://chacadwa.com/foh/mono-to-stereo-in-audacity

Remember to export as DVD compliant audio, AC-3 etc.

Muxman can remux the two. Although I use Xmedia Recode for that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow.. that was quick!! Thanks
    ok.. now the gumpy bit.. I've downloaded Audacity... now give me anything from 10min to 10days
    btw.. the ffmpeg plugin I guess is a feature in Audacity or do I need to download that too?.. n if I do... which one?
    I found this site http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ .. and ah.. ah.. ???
    Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.. maybe I rushed it a little quick, but ah.. looks like I need "that" program to 'strip' the audio off the VOB... It 'looks' like I can't use the Audacity without it according to the site http://chacadwa.com/foh/mono-to-stereo-in-audacity
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes my link above is the required ffmpeg import/export library Audacity needs to interpret your audio streams.

Full links here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

You will have to set the preferences in Audacity and tell it where on your computer you have unpacked the libraries.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.. it was all lookin kinda good... I imported the 'raw data' (VOB) as requested and it was just that .. 'raw' static
    I cant find the 'import/export library' you say Audacity needs... it doesn't ask for it
    I've downloaded FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows and ffmpeg-latest-win32-static and all I get is DOS screens telling me they don't know where ffmpeg is?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You should have unpacked it to a folder. Then you need to go to Preferences
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#locate
    I never said import, I said drag and drop AFTER you have told Audacity where the ffmpeg library is located.
    Without the library it can't interpret anything from the video file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok.. seems the zips weren't user friendly. .I've got things happening now
    just gotta workout the "Process" to apply the 'fix' back to the VOB
    Quote Quote  
  9. For future reference here is a link to create 5.1 AC-3. You only need 2-channel AC-3 (max 192 kbps most likely).
    Scroll down to 'Encode with Audacity':

http://goodspiritgraphics.com/software/tutorials/adobe-premiere/premiere1/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for pushing the patience envelope
    I have fulfilled the instructions from http://chacadwa.com/foh/mono-to-stereo-in-audacity ..but that seems to be it
    it only lets me 'save' and not finalize the project back to the VOB file it came from..
    Last edited by Vlad888; 5th Jul 2014 at 11:44.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not sure what you mean by ' finalize'. Do you mean join the video with the audio?
    If so it's called 'muxing' and you have to mux them together with muxman or similar.
    Tell it where the video file is and then, for audio, point it to your new AC-3 file.
    The new file will be created with the video and audio 'finalized' (muxed).

Edit: I prefer Xmedia Recode for this; setting Video to 'Copy' and adding the audio file into the mix.
    muxman is a tool I don't use, but which others on the forum swear by. I'll take their word for it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yep.. I found the file has been filed up as a ".aup" file with a "VTS_01_1_data" folder (with a 2 other folders adding up to 140Mb)
    as mentioned, I am familiar with pgcDemux, ... so what to I do now . .. I mean.. seeing that I don't have the required AC-3 type?
    or better yet.. how to convert into a AC-3 file?
    Last edited by Vlad888; 5th Jul 2014 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just to confirm: what did you export the audio as from Audacity? And do these files have to be VOB?
    I ask because the learning time for some of these programs can take hours.
    Will a TS or M2TS file be ok? Tsmuxer will be able to mux your streams together, probably in under a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    For future reference here is a link to create 5.1 AC-3. You only need 2-channel AC-3 (max 192 kbps most likely).
    Scroll down to 'Encode with Audacity':

http://goodspiritgraphics.com/software/tutorials/adobe-premiere/premiere1/

All the information is there for Exporting AC-3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't 'export anything .. Audacity didn't give me that option, .. when I closed the program it forced me to save, so I just save it into the same file as as the source .. the source being a DVD format folder with 1VOB file and the usual IFO n BUP files.
    I used the VOB file as the 'Open' .. I didn't use the 'import' option, as the only option in there was the 'raw data', and that was a 'static' failure
    if I can get Audacity to restore the project as a AC3.. I'd be happy...
    I mean Audacity 'exported' an AC3 file.. surely it should be able to export the 'fixed' AC3 it imported
    Quote Quote  
  16. Me too
    You said you had VOB files. My fault. I assumed you didn't have the IFO and BUP. Just VOBs.

Checklist [AND NEVER SAVE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FILE!!!] - how long have you been using computers:

1. Open Audacity
    2. Download and unpack ffmpeg library
    3. Tell Audacity where it is.
    4. Drag the VOB into Audacity.
    5. Export sound file as 'AC3 Files (FFmpeg)' and as a 2 channel (stereo) file (as per instructions in above link) to desktop.
    6. Mux together in Tsmuxer. TO A NEW FILE!!!

You can't just change the sound properties of a VIDEO_TS folder and expect it to play.
    The DVD will need reauthoring with the new audio properties.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gotta thank you transporterfan, your patience with me is off this planet... angelic... but it's 2.15am here in Sydney and freaking freezin, we've been at this for over 2hrs... you are a gem, .. I have learnt something new.. and helped me overcome the heartburn I had from the spicy birthday party food I had earlier.... thanks again.. hope we... really "I" can finish this... God bless n good nite
    Quote Quote  
  18. OK. I don't know if the VOB is recoverable. Try playing it in vlc or MPC.
    If you saved back to this file you have probably overwritten everything in it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good morning Transman,
    The DVD files are not lost, they are still in tact, I've moved those Audacity files to a folder of their own.

GOOD News, Nothing like a 'fresh morning' brain
    I have pgcDemux-ed the VOB n Audio n Celltimes, then the AC3, stuck that in Audacity
    then exported that and the rest to one folder,
    jacked up IFOedit to "author new DVD".... other than a slight miss in sync (if you got advice, gimme)... all is great
    thankx again n God bless ya for all your patience n care...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Vlad888 View Post
    jacked up IFOedit to "author new DVD"
    IfoEdit isn't a very good authoring program. You might as well use the best, since it's free - Muxman. Open the celltimes.txt (chapters) in File->Import Chapters. Add the video and fixed audio and author. If the audio is out of synch again (I expect it will be) either remove the delay entirely using DelayCut before authoring, or set a delay (as long as it's less than 300ms) in Muxman.
    Last edited by manono; 6th Jul 2014 at 00:24.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Vlad888 View Post
    Good morning Transman,
    The DVD files are not lost, they are still in tact, I've moved those Audacity files to a folder of their own.

GOOD News, Nothing like a 'fresh morning' brain
    I have pgcDemux-ed the VOB n Audio n Celltimes, then the AC3, stuck that in Audacity
    then exported that and the rest to one folder,
    jacked up IFOedit to "author new DVD".... other than a slight miss in sync (if you got advice, gimme)... all is great
    thankx again n God bless ya for all your patience n care...
    No problem. Glad you got things sorted, cobber.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!