VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I'm looking for the best way to capture some short clips off Blu-Ray's I own. After some searching, I see two possible methods:

#1 - Rip clips off Blu-Ray's directly on my PC via software and PC Blu-Ray drive. Not sure if I would have to rip the entire Blu-Ray, or if there is a good piece of software to select and rip clips.

#2 - External method using a Blu-Ray player, HDCP stripper, and some capture device on my PC. This method seems like it might work better on being able to easily select the clip I want.

I've done some searching here and have gotten some mixed results with many different methods listed. My goal is to be able to rip clips off several Blu-Ray's as quickly and easily as possible (hopefully without having to rip the whole Blu-Ray).

Suggestions with recommended gear/links would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by rad1701; 5th Jul 2014 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For short clip only, method 2 works but remember: Capture Card + HDCP Stripper + Average PC to record at full quality.

Method 1 is more reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there a good piece of software to capture clips direct off a Blu-Ray you would suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know of a quick and easy way to do this. For one thing, no matter what editing program you use, you will have to decrypt commercially made Blu-ray before you do anything else. You might find something that can open the disc once its been decrypted by AnyDVD HD running in the background.

I would suggest using MakeMKV to rip to an mkv file and make sure you select the audio that you want to keep. This way you avoid issues with seamless branching and possibly selecting the commentary track.

You can cut sections out of the mkv file with AviDemux, though it will be a process of removing sections you don't want till you get the actual clip you do want to save. It cuts, rather than saves. I'm not sure AviDemux works with VC-1 video however, so if you happen to have a Blu-ray with that video codec you may be in a world of hurt. Try to cut on I frames when using AviDemux. Leave the video and audio on copy and use the MKV muxer in the Output format in AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rad1701 View Post
    Is there a good piece of software to capture clips direct off a Blu-Ray you would suggest?
    Mirillis Action! or DXTory or Bandicam.

My preference is Mirillis Action (AVI mode + Perfect sync video)

Quote Quote  
  6. So, with that Mirillis Action software, it basically screen caps video of what I'm doing on my PC? I do have AnyDVD HD too. Still wondering if an external Blu-Ray player connected through an HDCP stripper and a good capture card might be nice to have to do this too?

Suggestions on a good capture card with HDMI in that would work well for this?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!