VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I may be displaying a level of ignorance here, but I assure you I have been searching all over for an answer to this.

I have a fair amount of MKV content with AAC 5.1 audio streams. I am using a set-top media player box, and I do not have a PC hooked up to my TV in any way. I am pushing the audio through SPDIF to my receiver. Unfortunately, my receiver does not support AAC streams. When I set the set-top RAW, I get no sound at all with AAC streams. When I set it to LPCM, even with 5.1 specified for output, I only get 2.0 out.

DTS, however, works with complete reliability.

I am not concerned about file sizes, and am aware that this will be an upconversion from a lossy codec to a lossless one. I am ok with that. I just want it to work.

I have been searching for three days for something that will convert AAC to DTS, but have only come up with AAC-AC3, and DTS-AAC. Nothing that will actually do AAC-DTS.

So, to the big question: Is there a simple, preferably batch-capable, app that will demux, convert, and remux an AAC stream to DTS? If not, is there a relatively pain-free way of doing this?

Thank you all for your great work here!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    eac3to can decode multichannel AAC and then call Surcode.

But if you don't have Surcode, I presume you could try Hybrid, which may use the freeware dcaenc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, as it turns out, my receiver can do AC3 streams natively, and Popcorn can do AAC-AC3 in one step with batch mode, so I guess I'm sorted. I don't know why I didn't try AC3 streams in RAW mode earlier. Probably missed it in my frustration. Thanks, anyway!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!