VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yesterday I was trying to remux some of my blu-rays to TS/MKV. I was messing around and trying to figure out the best way to do it. So I started by testing on a random blu-ray m2ts, let's just call it ORIGINAL.m2ts

So I finally made 4 different remux versions of ORIGINAL.m2ts, which are:

1. Use Tsmuxer to demux ORIGINAL.m2ts first and then use Tsmuxer to remux them to TS, let's call it VERSION1.ts
    2. Use Tsmuxer to directly remux ORIGINAL.m2ts to TS without using Tsmuxer to demux first, let's call it VERSION2.ts
    3. Use Tsmuxer to demux ORIGINAL.m2ts first and then use mkvmerge to remux them to MKV, let's call it VERSION3.mkv
    4. Use Mkvmerge to directly remux ORIGINAL.m2ts to MKV without using Tsmuxer to demux first, let's call it VERSION4.mkv

Upon comparing the 4 versions of remux with ORIGINAL.m2ts, I found out some weird issues which bothers me so much.

1. VERSION1.ts and VERSION2.ts have the exact same size. However, VERSION3.mkv is around 150kb smaller in size than VERSION4.mkv. why? Also, all the turotials available online say that I should use Tsmuxer to demux then use mkvmerge to remux. But the newer version(since 5.0.0) of mkvmerge can read m2ts file without any problem. So I assume these tutorials are old and I don't have to use Tsmuxer to demux first any more. Am I right? If I am right then the size difference between VERSION3.mkv and VERSION4.mkv still bugs me. What causes it?

2. This issue bothers me even more. The 4 versions of remux are exact same in length. Howerver, they are about 0.25 second shorter in length than ORIGINAL.m2ts. WTF are they supposed to have the exact same video and audio except their containers are different?

Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thoughts?
    here you go:

So I assume these tutorials are old and I don't have to use Tsmuxer to demux first any more. Am I right
    Yes.

However, VERSION3.mkv is around 150kb smaller in size than VERSION4.mkv. why?
    TimeCodes and some other infos are probably taken from the input and not auto generated.

Howerver, they are about 0.25 second shorter in length than ORIGINAL.m2ts. WTF are they supposed to have the exact same video and audio except their containers are different?
    wild guess:
    a. could be that the source starts with a non-decodable frame or other garbage
    (-> compare the beginning and end of the files frame-by-frame to see if a frame is missing)
    b. could be that the source has some delay, which gets removed on reencoding
    c. could be a glitch with tool you use to get your length information

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your quick reply. I will remux some more blu-rays to see if the length difference issue happens again. Btw I use Tsmuxer to get the length information.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!