VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've used a Sony RDR-HX750 for 6 years, and as the DVD burner unit is starting to fail, I am looking for a replacement. There seems to be various used RDRs out there but I wonder which models have the same software as the 750.

I've tried many recorders but IMO they are all inferior to the 750. So I am thinking that other models in the same series may use the same software for features; editing, recording, burning, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    This is what I mean with software: What creates these menus and features. If for example the HX900 or 850 has the same menus, functions and options as these screenshots, I assume they're of similar, if not identical software.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony HX750 title list.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	26039  

Attached Images        
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are no current Sony recorders you can still purchase new that have this interface. This software was developed by Pioneer and adopted by Sony when they began co-producing their recorders with Pioneer. This continued until late 2008, when Pioneer was rocked by financial troubles and ceased mfrg DVD/HDD recorders completely. Sony DVD/HDD models made after 2009 were OEM'd by Samsung and are not in the same league.

If you like this recorder interface, it was used in all Sony DVD/HDD model series between RDR-HXx50 and RDR-HXx90. For example, your own RDR-HX750, followed by 770, 780 and 790. Or RDR-HX950, 970, 980, 990. Perhaps you can find one second-hand?

As an alternative, you could look for second-hand Pioneer DVD/HDD recorders that employed the same software and Sony burner. These would be the Pioneer DVR-540, 543, and 640 of 2006, the DVR-450, 550, and 650 of 2007, and the DVR-460, 560, 660, and LX-70 of 2008. The Pioneers have nearly the same user interface but with earth tones instead of blues, and should be able to interchange unfinalized and RW discs with your Sony. The Sony burner version used in these Pioneers can also play and record DVD-RAM media.

Another option might be to bring your 750 to a Sony repair center and have them fit a new replacement burner. This will cost approx $300 (US) but would essentially give you a nearly-new recorder (assuming your HDD still works well). Sony no longer does this repair in North America but it may still be available in Sweden.
    Last edited by orsetto; 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Wow, that's great info, Orsetto! Exactly what I needed. Thanks a million!

I am trying to get a used recorder, but only if it has this software. I've been through 6 recorders and none of them were as good as this one software-wise.
    Quote Quote